Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't have XP Disk

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I have a LEGAL copy of XP Home on my computer. The reason I don't own the disk is because my grandpa gave it to me for christmas and it came preloaded. I also have a XP Pro laptop that was given to me w/o the disk.

Is there any way that I could somehow on the microsoft sight or somewhere else give them a serial number or something and I could download the contents of the disk from them legally and burn onto a cd?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Is this a HP computer, if so there is a program somewere in the start menu that allows you to create the cd's to restore the OS and drivers. I forget just how to do it but its in the manual or you could go to the hp website for directions.

Rick

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the newer ones allow you to access the recovery setup by hitting a function key f10 or f12, I think.

Anyway, the reason MS doesn't allow you to do as you say is because the PCs have OEM versions....and part of the reason they sell it as a discount is so that they don;t have to deal with user issues...they say "call HP!"

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Well I don't have any HP's anyways. I have an IBM desktop and a Dell laptop. So this Isn't possible?

And I have to buy new ones?

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
In some circumstances and if your windows is legal and you can prove it then microsoft can sometime re-issue a XP disk.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
How do I do this?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
contact the vendor. in this case IBM. it might cost a small amount of money to get them to send you the software.

starjax