Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer laptop Vista start-up problem.

• Please log in to reply

Ryan S

Ryan S

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey, went to boot my Acer Extensa 5220 laptop and it came up with the 'couldn't boot up' and the recovery management came up, it couldn't fix it and i'm left with this problem. Vista was pre-installed on my laptop and it's saying that I don't have any system restore points which I did. The only thing I can get onto is the command prompt. I've spoken to ACER and their 'advice' was to buy a disk from them for Ł48.80. Was wondering is there's anyway to sort this problem out/ set my laptop back to factory default/settings through the command prompt?

Also when I try to run in Safe Mode it goes through the drivers then stops after the 'crcdisk.sys' and restarts the laptop. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Edited by Ryan S, 07 July 2009 - 07:21 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Ryan S

Ryan S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the reply and I have checked that website but am unsure as to which one to download as I don't know the brand of my hard drive. Is it the same as the computer?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Turn the laptop off. Turn it up side down, and remove hard drive cover. You should see some info.

Ryan S

Ryan S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks Broni I'll be away till tomorrow so i'll pick up there.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No problem :)

Ryan S

Ryan S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey, I'm back (was longer than expected)

I've found it it's a Western Digital HD. I have a CD called UBCD4WIN which has the Data Lifeguard program on, I ran it earlier and there was two system errors.

If worst comes to worst I have a copy of Linux.

Ryan S

Ryan S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Also, I have been talking to a few people and they have said that the MBR is probably corrupted. Anyway around this?

Ryan S

Ryan S

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Update: now when I try to enter safe mode it stops at Windows\System32\drivers\disk.sys

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I ran it earlier and there was two system errors

System, or disk errors? Did you run full scan? Were the errors corrected?