Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sporadic wifi in big building...settings or repeater needed?

• Please log in to reply

redleader74

redleader74

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
We have wifi internet in a large church building using a Linksys router. There are certain parts of the building where wifi is very sporadic and sometimes absent. I am not sure if it is a router settings issue or whether a signal booster or range expander type device (like the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander) is needed. The reason I question whether it is a settings issue is because the router was recently reset (several times in fact) during troubleshooting of faulty internet connection from our DSL provider. Anyway, here are the details on our system:

1. We are using AT&T DSL connection
2. Router is a Linksys WRT54G
3. We have a main computer that is connected directly to the router, running on Windows XP. No internet issues with this computer
4. We have 3-4 Dell laptops running Windows Vista that use the wifi network. All laptops have no wifi connectivity issues with other wifi networks (i.e., home, cafes).
5. Wifi connectivity within the church building is sporadic. Sometimes there is connection to the wifi network but not to the internet, other times the wifi network does not even appear in the wifi catcher.
6. Wifi connectivity is fine inside the church office, where the wireless router is located.

So, my question is, would there be a setting for the router that affects the strength of the broadcast? If not and it really is just a tough building to wifi in, would it help to put in a range expander or some other signal boosting device?

Thanks!!

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hello redleader74,

You have 3 options I'd say. Either:
  • Purchase a larger Antenna
  • Purchase those Range Extender Access Point type devices as you stated
  • Purchase a Wireless-N router and replace your wireless adapters as 802.11n exceeds the 802.11g range
I'd say your initial idea will be your best bet. Even if you replaced everything with 802.11n it wouldn't be a for sure thing unless I saw the place lol. The larger antenna may not be adequate either.

Unt