Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank file types, how do i restore my media icons ?

• Please log in to reply

Raison

Raison

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My media icons(real player, windows media player etc) have disappeared and they have been replaced with a blank icon that looks like a piece of paper. When i check the properties the file type simply says "File", instead of avi and mp3 etc and there isn't any option available that i can see to change the icon. They open up just fine, but only after another window opens and i have to, 'Choose the program you want to use to open this file'. Down the bottom of that window, 'Always use this selected program to open this kind of file' is there but isn't selectable.. On the other hand certain other files seem to be fine and still appear and load as they should eg, text files for Word and OpenOffice and other media like iTunes. Help ?

Posted Image

Raison

(Windows Vista)

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Are you logged on as a system administrator? Try going to Control Panel -> Default Programs and see if you can set .avi to Windows Media Player, etc.

Raison

Raison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Are you logged on as a system administrator? Try going to Control Panel -> Default Programs and see if you can set .avi to Windows Media Player, etc.

I tried that but it didn't pick up the "blank" files because it's file type is "File" instead of avi, mpg etc. I tried looking for a way to change the file type so that the default program settings would read it but i don't know how as yet.. :)
I should have also added that this mostly happens with files downloaded by the Firefox extension Flashgot.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Ok I think I see the problem. When Flashgot is downloading the files it is only saving it as file, not .avi or .mp3 or whatever. I think by adding the appropriate extension at the end of the file, it will stop asking you what program you want to use. Perhaps this is some kind of bug in the Flashgot program? I personally have not used it.

Raison

Raison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Ok I think I see the problem. When Flashgot is downloading the files it is only saving it as file, not .avi or .mp3 or whatever. I think by adding the appropriate extension at the end of the file, it will stop asking you what program you want to use. Perhaps this is some kind of bug in the Flashgot program? I personally have not used it.

Yeah when i try to save whatever i'm downloading with Flashgot it doesn't give me any options as to what file type i'd like it in, just simply where i want to put the file. I might check out the Flashgot forums but if you or anyone else has any other ideas about this please let me know, i'd appreciate it.. :)

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I'm not familiar with the program myself, so not much I can help with there. Is there a reason you use Flashgot and not just Mozilla's build in download manager?