Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer not responding/ have to cut off and restart.

• Please log in to reply

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
thanks for all your help:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem, that's what I love to do.
If you get the information on the memory configuration your system is capable of handling we can help steer you in the right direction to purchase it.
Also I'm not sure what wattage your PSU is right now but this PSU HERE is one alot of us here at GTG recommend.
It has a 80plus rating which means it has 80$ energy efficiency so it will help on cost consumption.
It is stable and should more then enough wattage for what you have in your system.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your temps are good...no need to do the thermal paste...

you need a new PSU and as a added attraction you have malware ...so after installing the new PSU and some RAM...

Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

Edited by happyrock, 10 July 2009 - 08:47 AM.

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
don't laugh but, what exactly is a PSU and about how much are we talking money wise? any idea? I am just trying to see if I need to get another computer all together or what. at the moment my CD driver thing does not work and needs to be replaced. I don't do any work on this computer I just surf the web and things like that. I just don't want to put money into something that is going to keep having the same annoying problems.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
A PSU is a power supply unit.
Look at the link that Rshaffer61 gave in post 17 and it will give you an idea of price.
You can go much cheaper, but we do not recommend it because the PSU supplies the power required to the drives, board, memory, etc. If the power is not stable, you will have all sorts of weird and unexplained issues.

As for CD burners, that is a wide open subject. Price is dependant on what you want. Such as just a CD drive or a burner or DVD or.....
For reference CD drives at Tiger Direct.

You will spend far more in a new computer. We can not decide that for you, nor recommend 1 way or the other.

What needs to be fixed/ repaired is the following.
New PSU
More Ram
CD drive
A trip to the malware forum ->->->This is free

123runner

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
that help a great deal. thanks so much

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this here is only $20.00...don't even look at the SATA drives...they won't work with your mobo...
what is the make and model of your computer..I will find you a cheap replacement for the PSU...
the total cost for both will be about $ 65 or 70 bucks...include the ram and it will be about $100.00..
or you could look at netbooks...they start at about $300.00

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a HP pavilion 512c. As for the CD driver someone told me it had to be a HP because it wont work if it is not(?) $100.00 is not as bad as I expected. thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this here will work for the PSU...thats a 460 WATT for $34.99.after a $5.00 rebate
pick up a pair of these here...
thats a GIG of ram for $20.00 after rebate...your computer supports up to 2 GB
and the previous link I gave you for the cd burner will work just fine...

Edited by happyrock, 11 July 2009 - 07:28 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Happyrock :) :) :) :)

Advertisements

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
great thanks :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sure hope your a girl Be Be...cause I don't let guys hug me... :)

Be Be

Be Be

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
very much a girl :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then hugs are cheerfully accepted... :)

Edited by happyrock, 12 July 2009 - 12:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know how everything works out as your resolution may help someone else later with a similar problem.
I just want to thank you for hanging in with us while we diagnosed your problem. :) :)