Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing or corrupt NTOSKRNL.exe

• Please log in to reply

Vaio_Troubles

Vaio_Troubles

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is the error message I recieve on my friends HP desktop ( running Win XP SP_2)

<windows root> System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt

is there a way to repair this file without having to do a full clean install of Win XP? I also have the Hiren9.9 boot CD but can't find the right tool to repair this problem.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
To restore this file follow the below steps.

1. Insert the OEM or RETAIL Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password...
if you haven't set a administrator password just press enter...
5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
this assumes d: is your cd drive letter...change it if necessary
6. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
7. Type exit to reboot the computer.

clyork

clyork

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem after downloading bitpim. I followed the instructions above and now I'm getting Load needed DLLs for kernel. How do I do that? Thanks.