Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

URL Address Bar & History

• Please log in to reply

bravewolverine

bravewolverine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi - new user here that could really do with some help. Never normally have any issues with clearing history etc but over the last week, about 10 sites that i visted on one day(IGN, GameFAQs, BBC News etc)clears from my history folder but appears in my IE address bar & search bar withi IE every time i type the first letter in.

Steps tried so far:

(1) Std tools>internet options>delete history
(2) Switching off autocomplete (works on address bar but search bar within IE8 still brings up the sites)
(3) Ran CCleaner
(4) Ran Spybot Search & Destroy (didn't find anything)
(5) Gone into the registery and looked under the TYPED URLS for the current user - nothing is there
(6) Tried this from a previous post http://www.geekstogo...ll-t232593.html
(7) Tried right clicking on task bar, proporties, start menu, customise, clear all

And after all this the sites won't dissapear......Any ideas?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this is straight from the horses mouth...Jack Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

There are several things that you have to do in order to get the search suggestions to stop showing as you type. You have done several of them already. First, if Bing is your search engine of choice you have to be logged in on your Live ID with the search suggestions turned off in preferences. Second, Click on Tools and then Manage Add-ons and then click on Search Providers. Right click on each of your search providers listed in the right hand and select Disable Suggestions. Finally, you must clear your history. It will still suggest similar items that are in history so let’s say that you have setup IE to delete history on exit. If you have been surfing for several hours and have compiled new History items it may still display these but only if you search a topic very similar to a site you have visited in this session.