Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My hard drive crashed.

• Please log in to reply

Windows 95

Windows 95

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
About 3 days ago, I was turning on Dell Deminsion 8100 with Windows XP Home SP3, and it booted great. About 5-7 minutes into the boot, when it hit the desktop, and then loaded my Avira AntiVir 2009 Free, my hard drive started making the clicks of death, then Windows froze. I did a manual shutdown, and turned it back on, it gave me an error of Retry boot, Press F1, or system settings, press F2. I shut the computer off, disconnected the HD0.

I have a second hard drive in there, and tried to install Windows XP Home on the second hard drive, it wouldnt let me. It gave me an error of

Hard Disk Drive 0 is not showing (or something like that)

Hard Disk Drive 1 is not showing (or something like that.)

So I could never get Windows to install. I tried installing an updated BIOS, with no luck. Help me please. IS there something I need to do to make my second hard drive the Master, and not the slave?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Assuming that your hard drives are ide drives.

Remove the primary drive from the computer.
Place the 2nd hard drive where the first drive was.
The primary drive needs to be on the end of the data cable.

If you have an 80 core IDE ribbon set both drives to CS with your C:\ drive on the end with the GREY connector and your D:\ drive on the BLACK connector, the BLUE end should be plugged into your motherboard

I will also assume that the drives are jumpered as CS (cable select).
You may have to change the jumper to M (master). Generally not necessary if newer computer with 80 wire data cable.

Boot from your CD. May have to change the boot up options in bios.

So now the question I should have asked first. Are these ide or SATA drives?
Is the drive recognised during POST?
Is the drive recognised in BIOS?

123runner