Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop Error 0x0000006f session_initialization_failed

• Please log in to reply

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I was having trouble with abobe reader install, and modified various registry keys.after backing up and exporting to a folder on my desktop. Now I receive the error message as above when trying to boot to this operating system, XP home.
I can't boot to any option in safe mode. I can't do a system recovery ie first R option, I get as far as Admin password, I never use a admin password I'm the only user. I have tried the second R option but only get as far as copying files and after the end of that ,I get the above error message. I have a parallel operating system that enables me to get to the C drive where the offending system is. I have tried a restore from a previous backup to no avail. I have tried a registry import from the reg file I saved at the begining of the exersise, I'm now at a loss, any ideas as to what I can try. :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

can't do a system recovery ie first R option, I get as far as Admin password,

try again...this time if you did not set a password then just press enter...
nojoy..
lets try chkdsk ...
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd

Reboot

do not install abobe reader at all

get Foxit Reader is a free PDF document viewer, with incredible small size, breezing-fast launch speed and rich feature set. Its core function is compatible with PDF Standard 1.7.

* Incredibly small: The download size of Foxit Reader is just a fraction of Acrobat Reader 20 M size.
* Breezing-fast: When you run Foxit Reader, it launches instantly without any delay. You are not forced to view an annoying splash window displaying company logo, author names, etc.
* Annotation tool: Have you ever wished to annotate (or comment on) a PDF document when you are reading it? Foxit Reader allows you to draw graphics, highlight text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then print out or save the annotated document.
* Text converter: You may convert the whole PDF document into a simple text file.
* High security and privacy: Foxit Reader highly respects the security and privacy of users and will never connect to the Internet without users' permission. While other PDF readers often silently connect to the Internet in the background. Foxit PDF Reader does not contain any spyware.

go here to get it

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi Happyrock, thankyou for your assistance.I have run CHKDSK on the C: drive the offending system and after about 20 mins it reported ok. I did make sure that it was C: it was checking. I then booted from CD rc.iso I choose the R option , I then get type the admin password, I tried enter, Admin,admin, 3 strikes and you're out reboot. I the tried the second R option from rc.iso ie enter-F8-R setup can't find EULA, not to suprised about that result. I then tried boot from XP Home CD First option R same result as rc.iso, I tried reboot from CD enter-F8-R I get to saving config-restart-i have to choose the offending operating system because of the dual op system, same blue screen same problem. Is there a way of running the fixboot,fixmbr,bootcfg etc from my parallel system as I can get to the C drive. can I use cmd, or run? From the start of the instruction I never got to the C> I got there from cmd and run CHKDSK on nect boot. By the way I have two legal versions, no three legal versions of wondows, XP Home and Pro both on this computer, and Vista home premium on my laptops.Thankyou once again for your help. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try using a password from any admin account that was on the problem system...
nojoy...see if this will help here...
you really need to run chkdsk /r..first
you can also run fixboot and fixmbr once you get to the prompt..
just out of curiosity why do you have 3 OS's installed...are they in different partitions or on different hard drives...get a copy of your boot.ini and post it with your reply...
this is how to get to it...
Click Start... click Run... type sysdm.cpl and then click OK....
On the Advanced tab...click Settings under Startup and Recovery...
Under System Startup... click Edit... This opens the boot.ini file in Notepad...highlite it and press ctrl + c to get a copy

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Her is my Boot.ini
boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
I have two systems as you can see on this computer. Can you please tell me How to run chkdsk from the good sytem to check the partion 1 ie bad operating system. I have tried the link and what I get is upto saving configuration-system reboot after 15 seconds and BSOD. Can I from the cmd on my good system cd\c and run fixmbr etc, if so could you please tell me the syntax as I don't know the command lines to type.

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:) I have remembered how to run chkdsk. I run cmd-cd\c: at C prompt chkdsk /r I got a message The type of file system is NTFS. cannot lock current drive. Would I like to force a dismount I replyed yes and now chkdsk is running throug the five sequences.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you done yet...is everything working now...if not try this...
click on start...run...type in msconfig...press enter...
click on boot.ini tab..
when you have made the changes reboot...

chanchalseo

chanchalseo

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well assuming you can get into windows, try to download the sata driver off dells site. If all else fails, reinstall windows. It might be a loose connection to your SATA drive.

Good luck.

--------------------

Edited by sari, 03 March 2010 - 07:18 AM.
Removed spam link