Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash Media Partition

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I am looking to fix one of my flash drives that I used for a Dell Diagnostic Utility. I had to format the 4GB Flash drive to become a 2GB Partition in order to install the tool. I thought I could use the Disk Management system to delete the partition and make a new one for the drive, but it won't let me do this. Is there a free program that will allow me to recover the hidden partition. Thanks,
-Matt

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
how did you create this partition in the first place?

if you still have windows 7, try using the partion resize utility that comes with it.
available guide here

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
When I ran the Dell Utility it just did this on it's own, I haven't tried in Windows 7 yet, but will try it when I get 7 up and running when I get home. I know Vista has a similar feature, but it was shaded out when I tried. Is the one in 7 different?

*UPDATE*
The setting in Windows 7 was the same as Vistas, and both appear to be shaded out. I couldn't modify the partition. Any other suggestions?

Edited by Immortalarena, 09 July 2009 - 08:36 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, two thoughts. Try formating the partition and see if that allows you to delete the partition.

The next suggestion is not for the faint hearted, but I think that the partition is "locked" because its on a removable device. Ran across this and thought it might help. It's definitely a bit risky and requires a bit of technical ability.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I tried to do a format and the disk would not let me use the original setting of 4 GB. So I was going to try and make the drive look like a Mounted drive rather than removable, but it also didn't seem to work. Believing I did something wrong I found A flash media tool, at http://www.lancelhof...ive-in-windows/, that I was going to use.

The instructions said to just flip the removable bit, but that also didn't work. I figured I was just going to have to buy a new one, but decided to try formatting it through this program. When I mark the partition as Non-Active and Format the drive, like magic, the whole drive was back to normal. Thanks for all the help!

-Matt :)

Edited by Immortalarena, 10 July 2009 - 04:30 AM.