Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba L305D-S5928 BIOS Password

• Please log in to reply

sportsautographs1

sportsautographs1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I turn on my computer I receive the following message in a blue box with white lettering:

"ENTER CURRENT PASSWORD"

I called Toshiba who told me to take the computer into a local rep facility. I called the place and they said it was a very easy fix to reset the BIOS password. They told me to take out the laptop battery and then remove the BIOS CMOS battery from the machine. Then to wait 30 seconds and put the BIOS CMOS battery back in the machine and then the laptop battery.

This sounded easier than it is. How do I open up the back of the computer to get to the BIOS CMOS battery? There are only two compartments which open on the computer, one for the hard drive and one for the memory. Does anyone have any diagrams that would help me?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How has this computer come to have a password? Have you put one on?

sportsautographs1

sportsautographs1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought the computer as part of a liquidation lot. I can email you the link. The item was a returned item. I'm guessing someone installed a BIOS password and then brought it back to the store as a return.

sportsautographs1

sportsautographs1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The toshiba tech support said that some of the laptops automatically setup bios passwords. I've never heard of a computer being set up this way but either way I can't get up and working.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
If this is BIOS password, the only way to deal with it is to contact Toshiba with the proof of the ownership.
Be prepared to cough up some money, though.

sportsautographs1

sportsautographs1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I took the computer to a "authorized" dealer. For a charge, they were able to remove the BIOS password. Unfortunately, the computer now is asking for a HDD password. Before I throw any more money into this machine is there a way to remove this password? If I buy a new hard drive will I still have an issue?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
New hard drives have no passwords. So it'll be simpler to buy a new drive.