Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not booting up

• Please log in to reply

Glassbomb

Glassbomb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I have a problem that I hope someone might be able to help with.

First off, I'm not sure if this holds any significance, but a couple days ago, my hard-drive's power connector was broken, so we replaced it, ever since then I've had this problem where the computer just kept trying to boot but wouldn't, the computer's fan would just keep going super loud and wouldn't do anything.
At first though, I'd only have to keep turning it off and on, and eventually it'd boot and the monitor would finally go from amber to green and I could use it just fine, but now that doesn't work, in fact, sometimes when I turn it on, the computer will just stop trying to boot completely after 20 seconds or so.

My specs are:
Windows Vista Ultimate
Nvidia Gforce 8800 256 MB Overclocked
4 Gigabytes RAM
Intel Pentium Quad-Core Processor
GIGABYTE Motherboard (unknown model, sorry guys :c)

and if it's of any significance, when the friend of mine who replaced the hard-drives power supply connector was over, he also moved the sticks of RAM somewhere else, and said that, where it is, it would make the computer run faster because of it...

Edited by Glassbomb, 11 July 2009 - 09:46 PM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go

Did you power down the computer when you were " connecting and disconnecting" the HDD(Hard drive)?

The computer has not booted up properly since this incident, correct?

Please look on the MOBO about the center, the part number should be written there somewhere... It will help me look up info specific to your board, to direct you...

Good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 11 July 2009 - 09:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a custom built system or a name brand?
Is this a laptop or a desktop
When you say you replaced the broken power connector are you referring to the Wire connector from the PSU?
How exactly was it broken?
When you turn the system on is the fans on the inside of the system turning?
IS the PSU turning on or is it not?
How old is the system?
Have you checked the PSU connectors to the MOBO?
Any post beeps when the system is turned on and if so how many and in what order?

Glassbomb

Glassbomb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually, in retrospect, it did boot up TWICE correctly after the fix, it then got a BSOD and I carelessly didn't read it and turned off the computer (as I had gotten BSOD's a lot, and nothing had happened after them)

after that I started getting problems with booting up, and it only worked after I pushed the on/off button over an over, letting it turn on and hear the fans and wait to see if I'd get anything on my monitor, and then turning it off if it didn't.

And yes, the computer was powered down when we were replacing the connector

Anyways.
First off, in answer to cbarnard:
the MOBO's model is this:
GIGABYTE
GA-N650SLI-DS4L

at least, that's what I think it is...

In answer to RShaffer:

It's custom built
desktop
yes, the cord from the power supply unit
I'm not sure how it was broken... sorry...
yes, the fans are running (extremely loud too)
I'm not sure if the PSU is on or not, if there's anyway I could check and indicate whether it is, that'd be great.
The system is only about a year old i believe
I have checked them and they don't seem lose or anything
and no post beeps or anything

Edited by Glassbomb, 11 July 2009 - 10:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Turn system on. If fans that are connected to MOBO are turning then that is a good sign
Check back of PSU when turned on and see if fan inside it is turning.

When you say replaced did you use another connector or fix the broken one?
If fixed how was it fixed?

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 July 2009 - 10:22 PM.

Glassbomb

Glassbomb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright yeah, only the fans connected to the MOBO are turning (the processor's and the fan that came with the case. The PSU's however, is not.

Now, I can't be entirely sure how it was fixed, but I can say this. As I'm not incredibly adept at computer's, I will say that there are two similar looking connector ends for the hard-drive's power, one of them is kind of busted up looking and cracked, however, that wasn't the one that was broken, either way, the broken up one and the one that was broken, but not visibly damaged, are wired together, the broken looking one not plugged into anything, after the fix, the broken looking one was still there.

hope that helps

Edited by Glassbomb, 11 July 2009 - 10:31 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Based on the info you gave, my concern at this time is the PSU fan not turning. This would indicate the PSU is bad (or got blown due to the wiring).
My other concern is the connectors that were fixed.
Are these SATA power connectors (usually black with 15 contacts)? or
are these ide connectors (usually white with 4 contacts)?
If SATA, these are smaller are more difficult to deal. Being smaller contacts it is harder to be absolutely sure that they are not shorted.

I suspect that the wiring shorted and took out the power supply. It could have also damaged the hard drive and motherboard (shorts in power can damage all components attached, but not all the time). Lets assume that the board and the hard drive is still good.

Ide and SATA Power

At this time, I am leaning towards a new PSU.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long response time but as 123Runner has stated it does look like the PSU is the culprit here.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 6 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.