Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power outage, now black screen no cursor when trying to boot

• Please log in to reply

CassOt

CassOt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell inspiron 530s desktop using Vista. Was online this morning when power flickered due to storm, and now computer will get to WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY screen, and the 2 options are Launch Startup repair and start windows normally. Both choices take me to a black screen with no cursor. the only way to leave this screen is to turn computer off. Have tried hitting F8 to get to boot menu (I'm sure that's not what it's called) and every choice I choose there also leads to black screen with no cursor. Any help!? Please and thank you!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try resetting the CMOS....unplug the computer from the wall and open up the case, take out the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) and hold in the power button for 5 seconds or so...put the battery back in, close the case, plug it in and start up the pc...any change?

if that doesn't work...do you have your windows disks?