Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling XP with a slave drive

• Please log in to reply

Jhazon

Jhazon

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
After three years of operating virus free, a few nights ago I was hit with a trojan that has rendered by desktop useless. After booting up, it gives me a mock virus scan and doesn't even allow for the task manager to be opened nor any of my Malware/Virus scanning programs. So, it looks like I need to reinstall XP and start over. My only concern is that I have a F:Slave drive that has years of files on it. If I start a reinstall of XP will it over-write my slave too? Should I unplug my slave during this process?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

It shouldn't as you will get the option during install as to where you want to install XP.

That being said, there is nothing wrong (and advised) to eror on the side of caution - unplug your slave drive.

Murray

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
disconnect the slave to be safe...but after getting xp reinstalled and your malware tools installed and updated SCAN the data drive...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go.
If the slave drive is a separate drive as you indicate, then a reformat and install again will not touch the slave.
I will recommend that if you choose that option, that you disconnect the drive till after you are done.

Next I will recommend that you take a trip to our malware forum. Do the following Malware and Spyware cleaning guide first. Most times it will clean up the problem. Post in that forum only.. return here if you are still having issues and after the malware experts have given you a clean bill of health.

123runner

EDIT: Boy I type slow

Edited by 123Runner, 12 July 2009 - 08:36 AM.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
So power-off, ground myself and simply unplug the slave, correct?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Correct

Do you have the driver CD for the mainboard? or is this a recovery CD that will format and load default.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
123runner, I'm able to do anything on my desktop PC, not even open regedit or explore. The PC is total at the mercy of the intruder so the only thing I can do is reinstall. It is mostly my own fault, upon finding that I was infected, I went through my usual routine but restarted the PC prematurely thus lossing control when the intruder took over upon reboot. Duho!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Not a problem.
If you need help installing or finding chipset drivers, etc, let us know.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Tell me if I am missing something...

After popping in the XP recovery disc, I am going to power down and unplug the slave. Power back up and follow the prompts to reinstall XP. After that is complete then its on to updating and installing my various programs (from my own personal back up disc).

Is the XP reinstallation really that easy? I'm no PC pro, I've only reinstall XP twice on the desktop and both were at my local tech store when they took it in for upgrades.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Really that easy. Just follow the prompts and make sure you read each screen and the options being given.

BTW, you can't just use the backup disk to re-install your programs. They will have to be installed from scratch.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 12 July 2009 - 09:53 AM.

Advertisements

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

BTW, you can't just use the backup disk to re-install your programs. They will have to be installed from scratch.

Murray

Oh for sure, it is just that I keep a disc of my personal programs with instructions on how to set each them up on a txt file on the disc.

I'll have to get this started tonight.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You actually save your executables of your programs with instructions??
That is great. I know very few people that do that.

Good luck.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

You actually save your executables of your programs with instructions??
That is great. I know very few people that do that.

Good luck.

Yeah, I've always been a little excessive with backups but I wasn't too smart when I followed a link to some wacked out website which gave me the trojan.

Now, I have an issue on findout which drive is actually my slave and no my OS drive. Below is a picture of my PC's interior...

Posted Image

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I can't tell from that picture, but the master should always be on the very end of the data cable.
The data cable is the wide ribbon cable.

The slave will be in the middle.
Power down, remove the slave and power back up. If it boots up, you should not see your slave in "my computer".

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Here's something odd... when I restarted the PC to check on which was the master and slave, I find that none of the exe are working and the "fake" virus scan did not start. Without the ability to start programs, I am unable to start my virus and mal scanners.

On the flip side, I have determined which drive is my slave and I was able to grab a few files from my C drive that will lost with the upcoming reinstall.

One item of interest, the culprit appears to be the wiawow32.sys virus.

I have two "recovery/reinstall" disc... a disc that is an "OEMPlus MS Windows XP recovery CD-ROM" and the other is a copy of XP Home SP2. Can the XP Home disc be used for a reinstall?

Edited by Jhazon, 12 July 2009 - 03:43 PM.