Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Cpu w/out back plate(not heatsink)

• Please log in to reply

vewdew3

vewdew3

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i am running an el paso 1 mobo and went to replace the 1.4 P4 with a 2.8P4. But the board wont handle it, so i want to put the 1.4 back in but when i took the 1.4 off it was baked on to the heatsink and the metal backing came off. leaving the processor exposed (blue chip) i was wondering if i could reinstall the 1.4 with the heatsink directly on the cpu without causing a fire or something? and if not does anyone know where i could buy a 2.6ghz P4 / 478 pin cpu... thanks in advance!!!

Advertisements

howdy there

howdy there

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Its a good question. I am wondering if you really have to have the gray paste too. I see it for sale on the websites selling motherboards and parts. I put a little anti-sieze for aluminum on my heatsink and it hasn't caught fire or anything. My computer doesn't boot up, but that was already a problem. the processor is getting heat, like before, so it must be getting power right? But no it hasn't caught fire, and it doesn't "bake" on the heatsink like the first time I took it off with the factory glue on there.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If your processor is physically broken which it sounds like it is, do not use it. If it was designed to be run without what is effectively it's coat, it would have gone out without it.

Anyway Socket 478 processors are hard to buy brand new now. El Paso 1 seems to be a Gateway motherboard and and realistically the machine is so old (pre 2002) I'll be surprised if it sees anything above 2Ghz for a machine of its age.

howdy there

howdy there

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
re: signature line John Lennon quote. If there were no computer problems, that must mean Microsuck has been replaced.

(abridged)