Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer boots but monitor remains black after reloading CMOS

• Please log in to reply

partyhardwk

partyhardwk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I decided to upgrade to Windows XP SP3 so i put the disc in and booted it up (i already had sp2 installed) and i got to the choice to upgrade or repair and like the fool i am i repaired it (it was 3 in the morning). After it was finished repairing it restarted and got stuck in an endless boot cycle going from the motherboard boot screen to windows loading screen to a screen that said something about autocheck failed, skipping auto check. Then it just restarted the cycle. I decided to go into the bios and try anything i could to fix this so the first thing i did was reload the cmos just out of curiosity and after it did so, it rebooted to nothing, the tower turns on and functions as if its loading windows and all but nothing shows on the monitor which just stays in standby mode. Anyone have a clue as to whats going on here and how i can fix this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi partyhardwk ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
AS YOU PROBABLY FIGURED OUT BY NOW FLASHING YOUR BIOS IS NOT ALWAYS THE THING TO DO...
go to your computer manufactures website and get the newest bios for your system and while at their site ...read their instructions on the PROPER way to flash the bios...DO IT EXACTLY as they describe..