Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files and settings transfer wizard?

• Please log in to reply

dex

dex

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

Im having problems using F.A.S.T, on my old pc it says cannot complete collection
because The wizard cannot locate your new computer. make sure that the new computer is turned on and that your network is working properly.I m using windoows xp on both pc's and Im using a serial cable to connect the two, the wizard detected both connections. The new pc's message says the wizard cannot find your files and settings in the source location.What can I do to fix this problem?

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

Make sure you are using a NULL MODEM CABLE.

Remember that serial connections are very slow. Even at the theoretical top speed of 115,200 bits per second, they're only a litle faster than a descent dial-up internet connection. If all you're transfering is settings, you'll find it easier to make the move with floppy disks. The FAST program will break the data into groups that will fit onto multiple floppy disks for you. If you're moving data too, even if it's just a few hundred MB's....borrow an external USB HD instead.

If you are using the correct cable, I really don't know what else to try. I only say this because you say that you are getting the two PC's to communicate with one another.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you are still having trouble.