Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Displays Nothing

• Please log in to reply

Justi-Phis

Justi-Phis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The problem started this afternoon, when I first went to my PC. It was frozen on the screen saver, so naturally, I attempted to reboot. The monitor only displayed it's Self Test screen, but the machine itself was clearly on, as indicated by the noise that it and the fan produced. I tried taking one SDRAM DIMM out and loading it and then tried the same with the other DIMM, but it behaved in the same manner. I also tried taking the BIOS battery out for 30 minutes and then putting it back in. This machine has a PCI video card, but also integrated video, but the integrated video is disabled. I tried switching to the integrated video, but the problem persisted, but I'm not sure if that's because the video card isn't the problem or because the integrated video was not enabled after the BIOS refresh.

It went through the boot sequence once (while connected to the PCI video card) and froze at the Windows 2000 screen and displayed the pre-boot OEM splash screen once or twice. Those events happened after leaving the computer off for around a half hour, which suggests overheating, but the components should be sufficiently cool by now. I also disconnected my master hard drive and tried loading with my slave connected alone, but that also had no effect.

Specifications:
Upgraded eMachines T1150
Lomita Motherboard MBEM1673LMTL
1.3 GHz Celeron Processor
128 MB SDRAM DIMM & 256 MB SDRAM DIMM
Radeon 7000 64 MB PCI
37.2 GB Maxtor (Master) & 149 GB Seagate (Slave)
24x10x40x CDRW SW-224B/TG9 (Samsung)
40x8x4x24x4x2x40x12x DVD+-RW Dual Format (Digital Research)
3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
PCI MA560C1 56K v.92
Integrated Audio
Integrated Intel 810e Direct AGP 3D (Disabled)
ATX-250-12E(P4) Power Supply
CPU Fan, socket 370e

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it is the video card. i have the same problem. Take out the pci card and use the integrated the integrated won't work the pci hooked up but as soon as you take out the pci the integrated will work.

Justi-Phis

Justi-Phis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've done that in the past when troubleshooting my PCI video card, but this time it didn't work. However, after leaving my PC off and untouched for several hours, it booted up flawlessly and I'm using it at the moment. I was prompted to configure the BIOS settings, but that was because I had earlier taken the battery out and put it back in.