Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using 2 screens

• Please log in to reply

loki16

loki16

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
i'm trying to run a large screeen off my laptop.

the best i can get is the 2nd screen to show the background but no icons, programs etc.

i've tried the obvious controls but seem to be stuck here, can anyone help? thanks.

(using XP pro)

Edited by loki16, 14 July 2009 - 01:20 PM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Can i ask what your problem is? or what you are trying to do. From your post it sounds like its working...

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If you're talking about dual monitor, it's normal. You can always drag icons, or windows from one screen to the second one.
You have to use 3rd party utility, like UltraMon to get more options.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
@rev_olie
i can't get anything but the desktop background to show on the 2nd monitor. the mouse doesn't appera there, so i can't drag anything there.

i'm trying to use the 2nd monitor instead of the laptop monitor. whether or not the laptop displays the same thing is not that important.

@Broni
can't drag there, as the mouse doesn't appear there.

i'm not really sure what information is helpful here s here's some more background. switching on this morning:

with the 2nd monitor already plugged in

i see the windows startup on the 2nd monitor. it goes blank and then i see the password request on the laptop.

the big monitor is a dell 24" and i believe some dells have a known problem of going into power save too quickly when using an external source. apparently this is not user-adjustable.

(i suspect this is may be more than one problem here.)

if i go to screen config i can see the 2 monitors side by side. i can only get the 2nd monitor to display anything by checking "extend windows desktop to this monitor". i can get different screen resolutions, 1024 x 768 seeems to work best, but i still can't get the icons, mouse, etc onto that screen.

i have been told to try F5 or F7 to get up a window that allows you to choose what goes where, but F5 and F7 don't seem to do that on my laptop (toshiba satellite u400 177).

if i can provide any more info please let me know, this is driving me nuts.

hah. and to complicate things here's a new wrinkle. i just noticed the mouse (only) on the 2nd screen. still no icons, and no way to do anything with the cursor, and i couldn't get the cursor back onto the laptop without unplugging the 2nd monitor.

Edited by loki16, 15 July 2009 - 04:35 AM.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
i've got this 90% sorted so am posting for others' benefit.

the trick is to boot and THEN connect the monitor. then go right click on the desktop, graphic options>output to> then choose laptop and monitor.

i can't get resolution any better than 1024 x 768 on the monitor, which is kind of crappy on a nice 24" screen, but it's better than before.

thanks all.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'm glad, you solved most of your problems.
As for screen resolution, it all depends on what your video card supports.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
i think i can improve it by just choosing "external monitor" rather than both. will try later tonight.

loki16

loki16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
ooh yes, that works!

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Nice job :)