Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager and Explorer Issues

• Please log in to reply

Andrew Bresciand

Andrew Bresciand

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to help me.

I'm not exactly what's wrong with
my computer, otherwise I would fix it on my own. That's why Im turning to you guys. Here are all the things that seem wrong, hopefully there is a recogniable common factor.

When booting the login screen stays at "Loading Personal Settings" for 2-3min

Explorer process failed to boot on startup, but it's managed to fix itself upon several restarts.

Running Microsoft's Process Explorer compleetly locked up my computer and made a was making a mobo beep noise until hard power off.

Clicking in Microsoft's search toolbar in the tast bar locks up the computer as well.

It likes to lock up somewhat randomly other then that.

Other then when it crashed when I use process explorer, when it locks up I can't get any action out of tast manager, or any response out of any programs. I can't even shut down. All I do is move my mouse.

I hope this is informative enough to help assist.

Edited by Rorschach112, 14 July 2009 - 02:44 PM.
removed log

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hmm.. Good chance it could be malware.

Please go to the Malware Forum and read the stickies located at the top, especially this one.
The guides will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. Then you can post a OTL log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Only after a three day wait may you move to The Waiting Room where you will be on the top of the list to be helped. A three day wait is 72 hours.. Make sure it has been over that amount of time, or your Waiting Room topic will be closed.

If you are still having problems afterwards, and get a clean bill of health from our experts, return back here and we can try to help. At least we'll be able to cross malware off our list of possible problems :)

-Jason

Andrew Bresciand

Andrew Bresciand

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for the fast response.

I began following the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide as suggested, and when I came to Step Two: Viruses/Trojans I had AVG installed. Just to be sure, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. And continued on. It seems like the problem was fixed. Because after that there were zero infections or Malware found. And the computer is running smooth again.

Thank you very much!

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Glad you solved your problem! If you have anymore problems, you know where to go :)

-Jason