Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi to slow, have a 30Mbs connection but only get 10Mbs

• Please log in to reply

Felickx

Felickx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Hope anyone can help. I have a 30Mbs internet connection.
On my modem I've connected a wireless router(Fonera 2.0).
Vista (status of wireless connection) says I've got an 54Mbs connection.
But when I test the download speed it doesn't exceed 10Mbs.

- When I connect my laptop directly to the modem I do get 30Mpbs.
- I tried closing all applications (except Firefox), no change
- I tried closing my firewall, no change

Someone told me it could be that the wifi speed is squeezed by a program, but I can't find anything.

Configuration
Laptop: Compaq Presario CQ60 208ED
Wifi adapter: Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g
Windows Vista Home Premium
Wifi router: Fonera 2.0

Hope you can help...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could be that you're just not getting what's being quoted...if your wireless connection is showing 54mbps then that's what your LAN connection is...but if you're doing a speed test from a website...then that's your WAN speed (internet speed)...

WAN speeds are dependent on a lot of things...most important of which is the amount of usage in your area....if there are A LOT of people using the same type of connection (cable, dsl, wireless internet from the isp) then they're going to be connecting to the same equipment as you on the far end...which uses up the available bandwidth on the total connection

if you're the only person using this type of connection anywhere near you then you MIGHT want to call your ISP and see what they can find out

another good way to test this is to get online at a time when most people wouldn't be online at home such as the middle of the night or the middle of the day

Felickx

Felickx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your rely. But I don't think that's it. Because when I connect to my modem directly (eliminating the wifi router) I do get 30Mbps.