Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA drive problem.....

• Please log in to reply

Snacktapus

Snacktapus

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi all,

I recently purchased a new second hard drive to replace my existing second hard drive which was making strange noises and appeared to be on its last legs.

Basically I am replacing a seagate barracuda 250G drive with a seagate barracuda 500g drive however when I plugged it in it doesnt seem to be recognized.

Obviously they are both SATA drives. I am running XP and when I go into computer management the new drive appears in the device manager tab under SCSI and Raid Controlles with a yellow tick and a code 10 error. All my drivers are up to date and the previous drive still works. My processor is an amd athlon 64.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Does THIS THREAD help you at all?.

You will usually need to format the new drive for it to be available in Windows.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Without formatting the new drive there is nothing Windows can do with it. Click Start -> Run, type "diskmgmt.msc", and press enter.

As soon as you enter disk management, Windows should detect the new drive and should start the Hard Drive Initialization Wizard.

Once it has finished, right click the part that says "465.66 GB Unallocated", and select New Partition. This will start the New Partition Wizard.

Windows will ask what type of partition you want to create. Select Extended Partition

Once you're back in Disk Management, right click your drive and select "New Logical Drive".

You will then be taken to the New Partition Wizard again. This time choose Logical Drive. You will then get the option to specify the partition size. For simplicity's sake, I would just choose the max disk space.

Now you get to choose whether you want it to have a drive letter, or if you want to mount it on your C:\ Drive. If you mount it on your C drive, it will appear there under a folder. If you want it to have it's own drive letter, it will appear in my computer just like your C:\ drive. It's up to you.

After this you format the disk. Click Format this partition with the following settings. Choose NTFS for the file system, Default for the allocation unit size, and feel free to name the volume label what you like. Do not check "Perform a quick format" or "Enable file and folder compression" .

Once you have done all this, your disk should be all ready to be used. Hope this helps :)

-mp

Snacktapus

Snacktapus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Hi,

Does THIS THREAD help you at all?.

You will usually need to format the new drive for it to be available in Windows.

The jumper pin worked a treat mate. Many thanks.

S

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Glad we could help :)