Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Security Questions

• Please log in to reply

Fabricator

Fabricator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone,Fabricator here as a new member. I'm not very well educated when it comes to PC security. My questions may seem odd because I'm the type of person who looks at the "what if's" in life. My first security question is: Can another person (I don't know) or a website secretly download questionable or illegal information into my PC without my knowledge? Secondly: If this is possible,how can I immediately detect it and dispose of it or better yet, how can I completely terminate the proposed security breech. Thanks Everyone :)

Edited by Fabricator, 15 July 2009 - 12:15 AM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Welcome to Geeks To Go :)

Can another person (I don't know) or a website secretly download questionable or illegal information into my PC without my knowledge?

Simply Yes.
Software can be loaded onto your PC that can download content from your Pc to the user who created. For example some Trojan loggers e.g. Key Loggers can track a users keystrokes which can then be used to access file passwords etc.

Other software can run in the background and can track movement around the web e.g. Spyware and can then be used to direct advertising content etc.

Also some software can be used to download other fake software to your PC such as fake security content. This can again further open your PC to their attacks.

A recent threat Conficker also creates a network from your PC with others that is used by attackers to spread content.

If this is possible, how can I immediately detect it and dispose of it or better yet, how can I completely terminate the proposed security breech

The best was would be to use a layered solution. This is where different software is used to stop the infection before it is run.

Firstly you need to try and stop the attack before it can get into your system. This is done with a firewall that can block attempts from unknown IP's or untrusted software as you ask it to. I would advise Comodo free firewall .This I feel gives you good solid wall to stop most infections.

Next if the software gets through and install then you should have Antivirus and Anti Spyware. I would advise you install Avast and SuperantiSpyware. Again both are free. You want Avast home edition by the way.

This should stop most infections. Then if you do get infected you can head over to the Virus-Spyware-Trojan-Removal forum and you can get help removing the infection.

Hope that helped.

Fabricator

Fabricator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you Rev...You really seem to know your stuff! Your advice is greatly appreciated. You've got a friend in Pa. Fab

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
No problem glad to help :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Secondly: If this is possible,how can I immediately detect it and dispose of it or better yet, how can I completely terminate the proposed security breech. Thanks Everyone

the ONLY way to be absolutely sure that NOTHING will ever happen with regards to infection or other security breeches on your computer would be to unplug it from the wall...and bury it in the back yard under a few feet of concrete....other than that....there's always a chance

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

the ONLY way to be absolutely sure that NOTHING will ever happen with regards to infection or other security breeches on your computer would be to unplug it from the wall...and bury it in the back yard under a few feet of concrete....other than that....there's always a chance

That's true :) unfortunately in modern society. However I'm pretty sure rising damp can steal data now :)