Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quicken 2002

• Please log in to reply

mscobra

mscobra

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
I was helping a friend try to backup Quicken files to a 8 gig memory stick, and the backup kept saying that there wasn't enough memory...As I was deleting some of the files on the memory stick, all her files in Quicken on the "C" drive disappered. I can't find them anywhere and the program starts New and she doesn't have to enter her password anymore to get in to Quicken. I even tried to restore her HP computer to a different date and that wouldn't work either.. Could you give me an idea of where to look now for the lost files, or does she have to re-enter everything for the last 5 months. And Yes we did find another USB port that the memorystick worked in and backed things up just fine..Now, if I could just find the old files it would be great...

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Are you sure you didn't Cut and Paste them? That might explain them not being there. Checked the recycle bin? Did a windows explorer search for the files?

Make sure you have hidden files shown...:

In XP(which I assume you have)

In any folder > Tools -> Folder Options -> Show hidden files and folders -> Apply or OK

Hmm..

-Jason :)

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks for the reply.. The only thing I did try was to drag them to the memory stick and that didn't work either. and yes she is using XP, I did check the recycle bin and nothing was there either. I did a windows search and just the NEW files are there, nothing from the old...BUT, I didn't check the hidden files..I will today, as I feel I have to go and help her put everything back in..
thanks again,,hope this works..

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Can't say if it will, but I'll cross my fingers. I'll give you heads up if I think of anything.

Keep me posted! :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Another tip :)

If you cannot find the files, then they were obviously removed and not just lost. Perhaps PC Inspector File Recovery will help?

Go to the download page and choose "http".

Let me know :)

-Jason

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
GREAT..I went to the website to download it to a cd, because i'm not at her computer. Don't quiet understand the process..it says - To be able to use PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x you need a working WINDOWS™ System. Never install the current version on the drive from which you intend to recover data! The software must be installed and run on a second, independent drive.

I don't have a second drive...Do they mean a stand alone drive?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
When did you get this message? Before the download..? You haven't downloaded it yet right?

What operating system is the computer you are using to download it?

Hmm.. I'd also try Undelete Plus if the other doesn't work.

Also, be sure your your friend isn't messing around too much on the comp. When your operating system deletes a file, all it really does is mark the space on your hard drive that your file occupies as free space. It's still there, but your computer is now perfectly happy to write new data on top of it—at which point the file recovery process becomes a lot more difficult. If she downloads or creates something, it could possibly write over what you've "lost".

-Jason :)

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
THE MESSAGE WAS UNDER DIRECTIONS...I DOWNLOADED IT TO A CD AND WILL RUN IT OFF A MEMORYSTICK WHEN I GET TO HER HOUSE. THE COMPUTER I AM ON IS RUNNING WINDOWS XP AND SO I HERS. AND YES I'M HOPING SHE HASN'T TOUCHED IT..OR WE WILL BE DOING ALOT OF TYPING...i'LL DOWNLOAD TO CD THE OTHER PROGRAM YOU SUGGESTED, JUST IN CASE..THANKS WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED...

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Alright. The caps weren't completely necessary, but keep me posted :)

Lol~

Jason

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Sorry about the caps...I'm at work and didn't pay attention..:)
will keep you posted.
thanks for your help

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Haha, no problem.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Just wanted to let you know of the outcome of the data recovery program for the lost files. I found the deleted files, but when I moved them to the memory stick, not all of them were there, so we just gave up and decided to do a lot of typing.

Thanks for you advice and help..I can always count on this web site to help with any problems..

Mscobra

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Alright - unfortunate you had to go that way, but I suppose it's one way to solve the problem :) Hope your later computer days are better :)

-Jason