Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reply to this topicStart new topic Explorer.exe experiencing issues

• Please log in to reply

cloudkeeper3

cloudkeeper3

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just got done following a number of malware/adware/virus removal programs to get rid of problems on computer( http://www.geekstogo...is-t245368.html ) now explorer.exe & apoint.exe are experiencing errors. Upon start up I get to my desktop and the computer stops; no access to start menu/no desktop icons. Have recovery upon startup and was lucky to make it online again through task manager. Also, have maximizer_startup.exe running at startup running @ 95-99 CPU, comp has been runnin for about 1hr and the program is still running. Would send screen shots if I had the ability.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hi,
Do you have a Windows CD or a Reinstallation Disc?
What is the make (Dell, HP, etc.) of your computer?

Try booting into safe mode and see if the problem still exists.
http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm

Maximizer_startup.exe can sometimes be camouflaged malware, but since Rorschach told you that your logs are clean I doubt it. Try going to File (in Task Manager) -> Run...
Type in:
explorer.exe and press enter.

cloudkeeper3

cloudkeeper3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
First I wanna say, I made a break through and honestly don't know why...Mult. times I tried to enter windows through safe, debugging, and normal mode. Once in a while it would load a little better. Been reading a lot of different forums, trying to figure out how I can assist you guys better. Finally this last time I booted, it actually loaded all of my desktop icons and had the Restore Active Desktop screen up. This was the first time it got that far. At this time it started to lock up, Apoint.exe error came up then explorer.exe (instead of hitting cancel or ok)I hit the [X] in the upper right, went back and hit don't send report for Apoint.exe that closed and DrWatson Post Mortem Debugger error showed up, again don't send and was actually able to restore the active desktop and access the internet.

If I do have a CD would take a while to find after a few recent moves, as of now the answer is no. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite R-10.

Also, at this time running explorer that way works as well as using the desktop icons. Nor do I have full internet capabilities.

Edited by cloudkeeper3, 15 July 2009 - 02:15 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Look at this PDF document: http://cdgenp01.csd....0339010_web.pdf
Follow the directions to burn a set of recovery CDs.

Also make sure that all your important data is safely backed up to an external hard drive.