Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cracked Laptop LCD Screen.

• Please log in to reply

PurpleDrank

PurpleDrank

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Geeks to Go. A couple of months ago I happened to have an incident which caused my laptop's LCD screen to break.
Posted Image
I'm still attending high school and have some cash at my disposal and am currently wondering where I can obtain a brand new LCD for a reasonable price. I know how to manually remove the screen and etc. I just need a place to buy one. Any suggestions? I'm also unsure what model I have...I do know that it is from Toshiba and runs Vista.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Unfortunate!

The model number is sometimes on the bezel of the screen somewhere, or on the underneath of the laptop on a label. The best (most inexpensive) place to get a sceen is from ebay, but given you're in highschool, I doubt you could qualify to become a buyer there. Do you know anyone who could purchase one off ebay for you. Warning... you have to be careful about ebay items and only buy from people with very good feedback ratings. Look for 100% feedback if possible. Personally, I've purchased screens off of ebay and have had very good luck with several laptops I've repaired. YMMV!

If you post your laptop model, I'll help you hunt for a good deal on ebay. Other than that, you would have to spend quite a bit to buy retail from Toshiba, or a laptop repair website or motar/brick computer store.

PurpleDrank

PurpleDrank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The model is a Satellite A215. I've also heard of an alternative where I can just purchase a TV with an adapter to the Laptop, so I can use that instead. Do you recommend that?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
TV's with adapters are known to be pretty fuzzy looking unless its Hi-Def. You can always plug in a external monitor to the laptop if you don't mind being stuck leaving the laptop at home. All newer laptops are setup for USB monitors. I have even used a old CRT 17" monitor Plugged into the serial port on my Acer laptop that worked quite well.

SRX660

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
THIS is an ebay page for LCDs used in your laptop. I'm referencing this so you have an idea of how much they can be purchased for.

Here are some comparative retail prices...
http://www.lcds4less...op-screens.html
http://www.papatek.c...LCD-Screen.html

In any case, be sure to contact the seller so you can get the right screen. As a disclaimer, I have never dealt with anyone I'm referencing, so its up to you to do your research.

As for using a TV for a monitor. The specs for your laptop indicate an SVGA output port. This is the port that connects to a TV. However, you will need a SVGA cable, and perhaps go through set up via your computer Display settings, and on a TV, don't expect clear results like on your laptop, or an external Monitor. You should be able to find out more by reading your user manual.