Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU and motherboard compatibility

• Please log in to reply

vroni357

vroni357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I looked at TigerDirect and their various boards and combos before looking at Newegg. Unfortunately, an Intel setup is a little out of my price range right now. But thank you though.
:)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
THE most important component in a computer system is the mobo...it decides what the system can do now and in the future...skimp on the mobo now and you will be in the same boat your in now in just a year or two...spend a little more on a better mobo now and you have to only buy a better processor in a year or so and waa-laa you have a new much faster system...

vroni357

vroni357

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

THE most important component in a computer system is the mobo...it decides what the system can do now and in the future...skimp on the mobo now and you will be in the same boat your in now in just a year or two...spend a little more on a better mobo now and you have to only buy a better processor in a year or so and waa-laa you have a new much faster system...

I understand what you're saying but I was hit hard by the recession and I have to be able to actually pay for this stuff as well as other things I need to pay for too. Maybe in another year or two I'll be in a better position.

I originally was trying to spend less than $100. for the CPU and the board together, so at $129. I am spending a little more. And it's not just the motherboard and CPU that I have to get, I need RAM, a serial / USB adapter and 2 IDE / SATA adapters since none of the boards have 2 IDE connectors anymore. By the time I get all that stuff I'm well over $200., which is actually more than I wanted to spend but I can't go any higher. I have to balance what I need with my budget at the time.

This is not my first motherboard and it won't be my last. I'm replacing a 3 year old Intel setup that I spent more than $700. on, I was in a better position then. At first I was just trying to get a new motherboard to use with my old CPU. Since the tech has changed and the newer CPUs are faster and better with more cores, everything snowballed from just a new motherboard to a whole new setup. But since tech keeps changing I don't mind getting the latest every few years. And I would have to replace parts every few years regardless of what I get because they won't last but so long. Hopefully when I'm ready to replace what I'm getting now I'll be in a better position then. Thank you.
:)

Edited by vroni357, 24 July 2009 - 05:22 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I understand... :)