Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange files

• Please log in to reply

LlyodL

LlyodL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I seem to have some strange files on my drive. they are all names: APRIL2006_MDX1 _x86 or APRIL2006_XACT_x86 or APRIL2006_xinput_x64. What are these files and do I need them the list by month and I have hundreds of them?

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello there,

These files could be a lot of things. What is there extension type(.exe, .cab, .wma)? To find out, right click one of the files and choose Properties. Across from "Type of File:" it will say.

Where are they located(give the path, e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Billy\My Documents\)

My best guess, is that they're something to do with DirectX, or at least some kind of driver. I really doubt they're malware related, if that's your concern. Scan it with your antivirus if you think so, and if you have problems, move to our Malware Forum.

-Jason :)

Edited by OpenOutcome, 17 July 2009 - 06:01 AM.

LlyodL

LlyodL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Jason, they are all on my D drive when I keep all my program files and they are all ZIP files each file contains these ZIPPED files
xact2_3_x64
x3daudio1_0.dll
xactengine2_3.dll
infinst.exe
aug2006_xact_x64.inf
xact2_3_x64.inf

Kind regards
lloyd

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I only looked up 2 of them and they are related to Direct X as indicated. I gave you a couple links.
I suspect that they are where you found them because they got installed as part of a package with a game.

xact2_3_x64
x3daudio1_0.dll ->->->http://<strong class...</strong>/?p=63
xactengine2_3.dll ->->->http://pcsupport.abo...ssing-error.htm
infinst.exe
aug2006_xact_x64.inf
xact2_3_x64.inf

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
There files for a computer game, and Divx. Nothing to worry about.

Why do you wonder?