Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Realtek AC97

• Please log in to reply

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
:) Recently my dad and I swapped computers. I had an old Compaq Presario that ran pretty slow. He had a comp that he built from a barebones kit. His comp runs much faster than the Presario and has a ton more storage space. The homemade comp played sounds and music beautifully at my dad's house. I really like this homemade computer a lot better except for one annoying feature -

no sound.

The day that my dad brought his computer over to trade with me my speakers were on and playing music from the Presario. So I know they work. But after he brought the computer over here and plugged in everything all I heard was glorious silence. Right now I can hear them making little squeaky noises as I type. They are Durabrands and have always made strange little squealing noises. They are less than one year old.

Here is everything that I've done (with my limited technical knowledge...and yes, the speakers are plugged in and turned on :) ):

1. uninstalled/reinstalled Realtek AC97 driver twice (once from the website, the second time from the disk that came with the motherboard). Still no sound.

2. Gone through the Sounds & Audio Devices controls to make sure nothing was muted and to see if the devices are working properly. Everything there is hunky dory. Still no sound.

3. Gone through the Sound Effects Manager tool that come with the driver's installation. Nothing changed. Still no sound.

4. Gone through the entire troublshooter sequence. There are no questions, exclamations or coloured markers next to the list of drivers in Device Manager. I have gone into BIOS to check that also. The option for sound is set to "auto" (choice between "auto" and "disable").

5. I have tried plugging the speakers into all three jacks. I got a hit on the red one. That's how I'm able to hear the speakers squealing right now but not hearing anything else. I've changed where I plug in the USB also, not that that really mattered. The speakers turned on no matter which one I plugged them into.

6. Sat down and cried for three hours.

7. Stopped my foot just three inches before putting it right through the side of my CPU's housing.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I've been working on this for over a week.

Sound driver - Realtek AC97 for VIA ® Audio Controller
Motherboard - MSI P4 Mainboard PM8M-V
O/S - Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 3

If you need any more info, just let me know.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You probably need to install the MOBO chipset driver first then do the AC97 driver.

Go to MSI Drivers and get and install the following drivers in the order I have them listed.

VIA Chipset 4in1 Drivers
and then get
Realtek ALC Series AC97 Audio Driver

Both you need for the 32 bit version of XP that I assume you have.
It is important you do them in the right order or it may not work correctly.
Let me know if this works for you.

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Alright, this is what I did:

1. Downloaded VIA Chipset 4in1 driver; extracted files, forgot to run setup. Shut down restart.

2. Downloaded Realtek AC97; extracted files, forgot to run setup. Shut down, restart.

3. Got mad at comp because did not have an audio device. Thought download of Realtek didn't take so downloaded again. Extracted files. There's the setup. Clicked on that. Restarted.

4. Realised I didn't run setup on VIA Chipset. Tried to find it via search. Didn't find it. Uninstalled Realtek, restarted. Downloaded VIA again. Extracted files, ran setup. Restarted. Downloaded Realtek again, extracted files, ran setup. Restarted.

5. No sound, probably because I really messed up what I was supposed to download, setup and run in the correct order.

They're both on my machine now. I don't see an uninstall feature for the VIA or I'd wipe both of them off and start all over again.

*feels stupid* :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results as a screenshot.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 July 2009 - 12:46 PM.

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Here you go:

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot1.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to:

Start then to Control Panel
Click on Sounds and Audio Devices
Click on Audio tab
What does it say in the Default Device under Sound playback section?

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Realtek AC97 Audio is what it says.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then try this:
Repeat above steps except on the Volume tab
At the bottom of that window click on Advanced in the Speaker settings area.

In the drop down menu make sure you have the correct configuration for the speakers you have.

Also just a FYI the middle connector on the back of the system is the speaker jack.

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
yes, the configuration for my speakers is set for desktop speakers. They are plugged into the middle connection. Still quiet.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you try a different set of speakers or a headphone to take this out of the equation?

If this still proves to not work then I would say you may have a faulty connection on the MOBO connector.

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm not getting anything through the headphones either. I tried plugging them into the front connector and then all three of the back connectors with two different headphone sets.

I really appreciate you helping me out with this. I'll have my dad come over and take a look and let him figure out what happened. Thanks!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you have a faulty audio on the MOBO
Please let me know if your dad finds out the problem.