The past few days my computer has been freezing up on me. The blue screen of death says that the stop error is: 0x000000D1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and windows will not load normally. I have not installed any hardward recently. The only thing I can think of is when I plugged in a thumb drive of a friend of mine, a CD drive icon I didn't recognize popped up on a window, but I quickly clicked off of it and haven't been able to find it since. I definitely did not go through any installation process with it.
My computer will start in safe mode, or safe mode with networking, but just recently when windows loads up, the entire desktop has disappeared. I have to navigate through folders using Task Manager and exploere.exe. And the computer is running extremeley slow. The CPU graph jumps wildly from 0 to over 75%.
Here is what I've tried so far:
- I downloaded and ran TFC
- I downloaded and ran ERUNT.
- I tried doing a system restore but it didn't do any good.
- I ran the following anto-virus/spyware programs: SpyBot, AVG, Malwarebytes Antimalware and Windows Defender.
- I tried installing windows updates but my computer won't let me.
- I tried dusting out the inside of my tower the best I could.
- One more thing...a couple months ago, my desktop also started disappearing (only not in safe mode), and I followed some advice on a tech forum, went into regedit and changed the name of the explorer.exe file to exploere1.exe. I think it was some type of workaround for a specific spyware? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find that post since, and I can't remember exactly where in regedit I made those changes. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problems I've been having.
I'd be eternally grateful for any help, I;ve tried everything I know how to do! Thank you soooooo much!