Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear DG834G "network cable unplugged"

• Please log in to reply

lozz

lozz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, there.

Currently I have a Netgear DG834G router with a Desktop connected to it via Ethernet and 2 other PC's which connect wirelessly.

Today I came home and switched everything on to find my Desktop connect by cable would not connect to the internet, it said in my network connections "Network cable unplugged" even though everything was plugged in as usual. I tried restarting everything to make sure it was started up in the right order, but still no luck.

What is strange is that the 2 PC's that connect wirelessly can connect fine, its just the Desktop that is connected by cable and used to configure the router that will not connect. I borrowed a friends laptop and plugged it in to the router using the cable from the desktop and plugged it into the same port, it all worked fine. Therefore the ethernet cable must be fine, and the ports on the router must be ok.

This all seems rather weird as everything was working fine before and I didn't change anything, yet this happened. I have even tried system restore, but it didn't change anything.

Please can someone help me out? Just ask for any info you need if it helps troubleshooting. Netgear are complete w*nkers they wouldn't help at all because my warranty had expired.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, lozz.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
good chance that the network port on your computer has gone south... is it an older computer? is the network port built into the motherboard or no? ethernet cards are pretty cheap these days...and buying a new one and installing it would be a pretty quick fix