Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot uninstall Avast from Windows vista

• Please log in to reply

bushygoose

bushygoose

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have tried to go through Avast with this problem but they are not very helpful and have no phone number to call (this coming directly from them that they only have an over seas phone number). I have installed Avast on a friends computer because they had no anti-virus. Well they decided they no longer wanted avast and installed McAfee or at least tried. In the mean time they attempted to uninstall avast which did not work. I went to uninstall it for them and the program will not uninstall in fact it tells me to try to use avasts uninstall software. So I downloaded the software and ran it. I then got an error message that told me to try to uninstall the software in safe mode. I restarted the computer in safe mode and attempted to uninstall. No luck. I get an error message telling me that part of the program is missing and to reinstall. I have reinstalled the program again and again and tried to uninstall over and over again. But no luck. It is as if a piece of the program is corrupt. Is there anything out there that can help with this uninstall? Avast's website and support did nothing but tell me to do everything I have already done. I am hoping there is software out there that will override and uninstall with no problem. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Revo Uninstaller
Find any entries about Avast when you run Revo
Check them and then have Revo uninstall them.
Let us know if this fixes your problem

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 July 2009 - 03:06 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
On a side note...going from Avast to McAfee, I'd consider as downgrading (a lot).

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

On a side note...going from Avast to McAfee, I'd consider as downgrading (a lot).

That's true. They are going to up their system usage alot going from Avast to Mcafee and I wouldn't consider them improving their protection more rather loosing their protection.

bushygoose

bushygoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I agree about it being a downgrade but they had already purchased it for their main computer and needed a temporary one on the laptop. Although somehow they screwed up the uninstall function and asked for my help.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Oh ok fair enough their choice i suppose. Have you managed to remove Avast or is it still an issue?

bushygoose

bushygoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am actually just forwarding them the information and how to perform the uninstall. I hopefully will have a result shortly. Thank you so much for you help.