Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser connection errors...possible malware or virus?

• Please log in to reply

redleader74

redleader74

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I'v been experiencing internet access issues on my web browsers, both IE7 and Firefox. First a little details about my system and my issue:

Dell XPS M1330 Laptop
Windows Vista Home Premium
Comcast Cable
Linksys Wireless-G Router

My problem is that I have sporadic connections with the internet while surfing the net on these two browsers. I am connecting to the net wirelessly via my linksys router. Sometimes a page will load but not completely and other times it will just fail to load. This happens on all different websites. I do not have this issue on my other Dell Laptop which is running on Windows XP and on an older version of IE. I do not think the issue is due to my router or my internet service provider because I do not have these issues with my other laptop

Because I have not changed any settings or installed anything new on my current laptop to cause any problems in recent months, my first suspicion is that I must have picked up a virus or malware at some point, so I went ahead and followed the steps on the malware cleaning guide (http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html)

Here are the results:

Preparation:

TFC.exe
I ran this once and the desktop was not completely restored (well actually, it was the icons in the task tray in the lower right hand corner which were not restored). However, I it did indicate that files were deleted and the exit button was lit. So I exited TFC. But because the icons in the task tray were not restored I decided to run TFC again. This time the computer went to blue screen with the message, “..unexpected windows failure, etc…” and rebooted itself.

System Restore
This ran without issues.

ERUNT
This ran without issues.

Step One

Malwarebytes
Ran successfully. Here is the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2447
Windows 6.0.6000

7/16/2009 11:32:13 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-16 (23-32-13).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 97870
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Step Two

I’m running PC-cillen and it is up to date and has not detected any viruses.

Step Three: Windows Updates

There were no updates marked “critical”, only those marked “important” and those have been installed, including the upgrade of IE7 to IE8.

Step Four: Rootkit Detection

I downloaded and tried to run Rootkit but received an error upon running it. Here is what is reported in the error log (it generated two reports in the form of a .txt file):

ROOTREPEAL CRASH REPORT
-------------------------
Exception Code: 0xc0000005
Exception Address: 0x00429430
Attempt to write to address: 0x00ec9000

ROOTREPEAL CRASH REPORT
-------------------------
Exception Code: 0xc0000005
Exception Address: 0x77721f2a
Attempt to read from address: 0xa9605392

I have stopped the procedures here because of the failure in running Rootkit. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements