Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Photo software does not recognize scanner

• Please log in to reply

wasillaresident

wasillaresident

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am running Windows XP Compaq Presario SR1010NX. I have used my HP Scanjet 3970 flat bed scanner for several years without problem. Today, for some stupid reason, I uninstalled and then reinstalled the scanner software. Now my photo program (MS Picture it! Photo Premium 9) doesn't recognize the scanner. When I reboot, the scanner makes all the right noises (talks to my PC) but when I open the photo program, and try to scan, its a dead duck. When I click the scan request, it gives me two options, the first one says: Automatic Scan (if I click that it does absolutely nothing). the second option is "my scanners software". When I click on that, I get a message saying "your scan failed try again". The photo program works perfectly except when I try to scan a photo. The front of my scanner has several direct buttons, one of them is a "scan" button. it seems dead too. All the other buttons work except the scan.

Nothing I do seems to work. Do you have any clues whats going on? :)

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Can i ask why did you uninstall the software? Was there an error or something?

Just before you try anything else unplug the scanner from the system and try it in a different USB input. Also check the other USB and power connections.
There has been a patch release for this error well sort of anyhow that could be of use were by the users buttons become inactive in certain windows environments.

Download the patch from HERE

Then run it and see what happens. If that doesn't solve the problem i would first remove the old scanner software again and then update it via the HP website HERE. Check through the other updates at the bottom of that page to see if any of them conform to an error also.

Hope that helps.

Edited by rev_olie, 18 July 2009 - 07:22 AM.

wasillaresident

wasillaresident

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You are a life saver! I downloaded the patch and everything works great :) I can't thank you enough.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Glad to help :)