Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOLVED - Please help: How to restore Properties > Security > Per

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I need of help... please...

I'm working on a video project. I have an external usb 2.0 hard drive containing all MP4 files for the project. So first stage was to connect the hard drive to my computer, which I did. The next stage was to start importing all the MP4 files of the project into the video editing application.

Figuring I'll only be READING from this external disk and to avoid any embarrassing mistakes concerning these files, I decided to change the security configurations of the drive so that no files are accidentally moved, deleted, altered... from the drive.

To do this I went to MY COMPUTER > then right-clicked the drive and selected PROPERTIES > clicked the SECURITY tab > selected ADMINISTRATOR under users, then under permissions for administrators I selected ALLOW for READ & EXECUTE. So currently the security settings are as follows:

Full Control - NOTHING CHECKED
Modify - NOTHING CHECKED
Read & Execute - ALLOW
List Folder Contents - ALLOW
Read - ALLOW
Write - DENY
Special Permissions - DENY

After doing this, it dawned on me that the video editing software WILL in fact need to write onto the disk - some back up files and processed clips. I tried to restore the security settings back to how they were, but it seems I don't have access now to the settings. They are grayed out. I can't figure out how to change it back to how it was.

Can anyone help please? .... I'm kinda stuck till I figure this out. :)

Thanks!

Info & Specs:

Windows XP Home, SP3
LaCie 1TB USB 2.0 external hard drive

Edited by adifrank, 18 July 2009 - 05:48 AM.

Advertisements

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I thought I had solved it. But not.
I managed to have access to permissions on the disk and check ALLOW FULL CONTROL which basically place check marks in ALLOW in everything.

So I checked... I tried creating a new empty folder in one of the folders on the disk - it worked! Then tried making a change to the name of one of the folders on the disk and got an error - ACCESS DENIED.

So I guess I haven't figured it out yet. Somehow I managed to have full access to the disk, but not to the folders and subfolders and files that are on it.

Any ideas?

Edited by adifrank, 18 July 2009 - 06:53 AM.