Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Reboot Loop (+ Blue Screen Of Death)

• Please log in to reply

John Nada

John Nada

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Yesterday I tried to reboot my PC after having left it on all night. I got as far as the Windows XP splash screen before the blue screen of death appeared suddenly for about half a second (Not enough for me to read what the actual error is) and the computer began rebooting again. It now continues in this reboot loop no matter which mode I try to boot up in.

I recently tried to install another 2GB of RAM on top of the 2GB of RAM that I already have, but it turns out that the new RAM was faulty (I was going to buy it second hand from a friend). Ever since then I have noticed that my RAM has been lagging, and my PC is struggling with tasks that it didn't struggle with before.

I doubt it has anything to do with the problem but I also installed a brand new soundcard recently. On top of that, I downloaded four different archive files (Both .rar and .zip) using Emule recently, which all turned out to be corrupted. It strikes me as slightly odd that all four of them would be corrupted, and in my haste I forgot to virus scan them, so I'm wondering if maybe they contained viruses.

If anybody could offer me any suggestions as to what the problem is likely to be, and how to solve it on as tight a budget as possible, I would be extremely appreciative. I'm a struggling freelance documentary maker and I simply cannot live without my computer. I also cannot afford to lose any of the data on my hard drives.

Personally I suspect that the RAM is the issue, but I'm hardly an expert on these matters.

Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What were the files and where did they come from?
Have you tried do do Last Known Good Configuration and if so was the result the same?
Let's see if we can discover what the BSOD is by following the next steps.

Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.