Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having major OS Dilemma & free upgrade win7 coupon

• Please log in to reply

rocknje

rocknje

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello everybody,

I am having a delema here that I need to figure out if the Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM for $109.99, includes a free Windows 7 upgrade coupon . http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116677

Reason why I purchased this, even though Win7 is coming out in a little over two months, is because I am building a brand new computer and since I am currently using Windows XP Professional 32bit SP3, I would need to upgrade to a 64bit to take advantage of all 6GB of RAM that I purchased.

Does this really come with the Windows 7 Upgrade coupon when it comes out in the Fall? Has anybody ordered this that can give me some feedback?

Do you guys think I should stick with this? If not, I can still get my money back, because I have all my computer components being sent to a UPS Center for pick up and since it is being delivered by another carrier they will not accept the package and will be sent back to newegg. So, I can still get my refund. If you think I should, I will attempt to get it redelivered

Here is a disclaimer I found on another website. Is this accurate?

Disclaimer: This OEM software is intended for system builders and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. This software is for New and/or Fresh Installation and is NOT Retail nor Upgrade product. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end user support for the software

I am not sure if I am misunderstanding or not, but does this mean I can't upgrade to another version or does this mean that this is a full version and this cd is not used as an upgrade?

Here is a few options I am thinking about right now.

A. Win 7 RC 64 bit, but then pay full price for the Home Premium full version $199
B. Win 7 RC 64 bit, but then reinstall my XP Professional and then pay upgrade price for the Win 7 Professional upgrade $199
C. Purchase full or upgradeable XP Professional 64 bit
D. Stick with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM $109 only if it comes with the coupon then upgrade to win7 for free when comes out.

Since I have XP Professional, if I wanted to upgrade from XP Professional, do I have to stick with, lets say, Windows 7 Professional or can I upgrade from XP Pro with any version like Window 7 Home Premium?

Final one here. How has Windows 7 RC been? Any problems? Does, most software work on it with any problems? What about older software, any problems with Win 7 RC?

I also found this link....http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/02/05/windows_xp_7_vista_upgrade/ If this is true, then I might now my answer will see.

Thank you very much for your help.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

It will depend on your coupon. Take a look at This article. Most vendors are offering the free upgrade with windows Vista so yes you should be able to upgrade for free.
The disk also comes with the Windows 7 Release Candidate so you could even just load that straight on and then upgrade.

Do you guys think I should stick with this? If not, I can still get my money back,

Overall i would say yes stick with it.

That disclaimer is regards to the OEM side of the software rather than the overall Windows upgrade. OEM software put in basic terms is for system builders. It is a cheaper copy for people to use without all of the packaging etc to load onto a fresh system. The disclaimer is basically saying that it can only be installed on one machine. This part "New and/or Fresh Installation and is NOT Retail nor Upgrade product" means that it is for a new system or to completely reinstall on an older system. Its not there to upgrade say from XP and wont be classed as an upgrade (but your still fine to use it) and neither is it available to pas onto consumers, only manufacturer to Vendor and cant be sold after that.

Final one here. How has Windows 7 RC been? Any problems? Does, most software work on it with any problems? What about older software, any problems with Win 7 RC?

I find it very positive. Its been a nice step from Vista. Most people say ooh year its really good its great because Vista was so bad but I for one never hated Vista. Ive never had a problem with it so to me its not mind glowingly good.

Most software should work however at the moment with the RC release they will concentrate on the OS development. They are starting to work on older software but some still isn't compatible. However in time they will you just need to give them chance.

I was actually very surprised at how quickly drivers were produced. Some almost official were release when then 2nd Beta was made so that surprised me.

Other than that Ive not had any problems. There are still gaps in security which are a cause for concern and they don't seem to be rushing to plug them so that will be one to watch.

rocknje

rocknje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi,

It will depend on your coupon. Take a look at This article. Most vendors are offering the free upgrade with windows Vista so yes you should be able to upgrade for free.
The disk also comes with the Windows 7 Release Candidate so you could even just load that straight on and then upgrade.

Do you guys think I should stick with this? If not, I can still get my money back,

Overall i would say yes stick with it.

That disclaimer is regards to the OEM side of the software rather than the overall Windows upgrade. OEM software put in basic terms is for system builders. It is a cheaper copy for people to use without all of the packaging etc to load onto a fresh system. The disclaimer is basically saying that it can only be installed on one machine. This part "New and/or Fresh Installation and is NOT Retail nor Upgrade product" means that it is for a new system or to completely reinstall on an older system. Its not there to upgrade say from XP and wont be classed as an upgrade (but your still fine to use it) and neither is it available to pas onto consumers, only manufacturer to Vendor and cant be sold after that.

I find it very positive. Its been a nice step from Vista. Most people say ooh year its really good its great because Vista was so bad but I for one never hated Vista. Ive never had a problem with it so to me its not mind glowingly good.

Most software should work however at the moment with the RC release they will concentrate on the OS development. They are starting to work on older software but some still isn't compatible. However in time they will you just need to give them chance.

I was actually very surprised at how quickly drivers were produced. Some almost official were release when then 2nd Beta was made so that surprised me.

Other than that Ive not had any problems. There are still gaps in security which are a cause for concern and they don't seem to be rushing to plug them so that will be one to watch.

Thank you very much for your answer. Helped. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I am now leaning more towards the RC version.

Maybe you can answer this one. The promotion price that was held for bit where the Home Premium was for $49.99 and the Professional was for $99 etc and you had to July 11th to purchase it. This is kind of an interesting situation.

From Amazon.com, before the promotion expired, I put a copy of the Professional version into the shopping cart and didn't purchase yet. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy or not. When I finally decided to get it not realizing the time, stupid me, It was about 12:15am the 12th. Newegg and everywhere else stopped the promotion. I happened to go back to Amazon.com and I saw that I had the Professional still in the cart at the same price of $99 and then purchased it. The reciept I received from the pre-order says $99.99. Also, in my account information it shows that I purchased it as well for $99. When I sent an email to the customer service seeing if I can downgrade to the Home Premium they said this:

Your order didn't meet all of the qualifications for receiving this promotional offer. Specifically, the orders had to be placed between June 26, 2009 to July 11, 2009 for the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade

The order in question was placed on Jul 12, 2009 for the Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade.

Restrictions for promotional offers vary, so I recommend reading the "fine print" details.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Since I purchased this pre-order at $99 can they switch the price on me or is this a done deal for the price I got? I would think this is a done deal since I clicked the order button and I have an offical receipt that I bought it for $99.

If I can still get it at this price then this will help in my decision process.

Edited by rocknje, 18 July 2009 - 04:00 PM.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Thats a tricky one.

What is the order status currently for the order?

If you have a receipt saying you have ordered the product then they have a duty to carry that through. Its not your fault of such that you have paid the promotional price after the end of the date.

however in the T+C it will probably say they have the right to change the prices and there's really nothing you can do about it. Also if the offer ends on July the 11th it will end at 11:59PM which is the last minute of July llth. If you placed it at 12:15 on the 12th then you have missed the deadline and the order will most probably be denied.

You will need to check for
A, The fine print of the offer. Look for anything regarding price changes
B, Have they taken the money. If they have then this really means the transaction has taken place and if they don't give you the goods then you have the power in one hand to complain and demand the product however this will determine the results of point A.

Have a read and see what the Terms and Conditions say.
The general TOC's leave these areas they will fight you on

With respect to items sold by Amazon, we cannot confirm the price of an item until you order; however, we do NOT charge your credit card until after your order has entered the shipping proces

However if you look back its $107.55 with a $9.99 upgrade cost to Windows 7. With that you will only save about $1 on the original Windows 7 Update cost.

Vista on Amazon

Windows 7 on Amazon

However it may just be me but Amazon say that If you purchase full or upgrade versions of Windows Vista, on or after June 26, you will qualify for a Windows 7 Upgrade at the reduced price of $9.99.

I would check that as there seems to be a chance that the upgrade price may be wrong on amazon leaving them charging you an extra $90. If that is the case then definitely just go straight with the Windows 7 update

I would send another email to Amazon and discuss the problems. Either way i can see them denying you the $99 option and if they do buying Vista now will leave you spending more.

I would, if they deny you the $99 download the Windows 7 RC and leave that running on your PC. Then you can order the Windows 7 upgrade now and have it there ready when its released. Because what's the point in having Vista for 2 months?. Also looking at the amount of coupons i have a really really strong suspicion that once Windows 7 comes out Vista will be available for sale for about 6 months tops to which they will end support and shelf it. So why have it lying around i say.

Edited by rev_olie, 18 July 2009 - 04:59 PM.