Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer stalls for a while

• Please log in to reply

Emjayy

Emjayy

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey guys, I have a problem with my IE.

Whenever I'm on a webpage, my IE just stalls for about 10-20 seconds, unable to highlight/select/click anything, and then after that it would return back to normal. It happens ever 40 seconds or so.

What's the problem here? Thanks :)

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
What version of IE do you have installed? ALT(button) > TOOLS > ABOUT INTERNET EXPLORER

How about IE without addons?

To run IE without addons:

Click START.
(If you are on Vista, just type this into the search bar, otherwise)
Click Run.
Type in: "iexplore.exe -extoff" without the quotes.

The first page to come up will tell you: Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons.
if you accessed it correctly.

?
-Jason :)

Emjayy

Emjayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

IE version 8.0.6001
Running without add-ons does work smoothly, but will I have to do this from now on?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
No, but thankfully it has narrowed down our problem to a malfunctioning add-on! Probably anyway. :)

So, we need to find the addon that is making it malfunction. This is basically a trial and error process :) Start up regular IE, with addons running, and navigate to: ALT(button) > TOOLS > MANAGE ADD-ONS > ENABLE OR DISABLE ADD-ONS

Make sure the dropdown menu on top is set to "Addons currently loaded in IE".

Now hopefully the list isn't too long. :) Start from the top and work your way down. Choose the first one, and in the settings box in the bottom left, click the radio button for "Disable". Click Ok. Search as you normally would, and see if the problem persists. Continue down the list until your problem stops. The last one you disabled will be the faulty one. :)

Once you find it, let me know. Or you can just Uninstall it and try to reinstall it yourself.

-Jason :)

Edited by OpenOutcome, 18 July 2009 - 04:46 PM.

Emjayy

Emjayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok so basically disabled all add-ons and it still would stall when loading a page compared to running it with no add-ons (it would have no problem loading at all)

What can I do?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hi there,

Hmm, that is strange. Did you disable all at once, and restart IE in normal mode to see if it would have any effect? What kind of toolbars do you have for IE? Could you list the Addons you have installed..? Send me a screenshot.
If you click that dropdown menu that says "Addons currently loaded in IE", it will show other that don't require permission to run and such. I was hoping it wasn't one of these but...

Worst case scenario, go through every dropdown menu and disable everything to find the culprit. You can do more than one at a time, just make sure you kinda keep track, to avoid forgetting which addons you disabled so we can find the culprit.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Also - how long ago did this start happening? What are the newest addons you've installed..?

You may not be interested, but you should test out Mozilla Firefox. It's a faster and safer web browser. You can download it from my signature below. Some people just have a Microsoft thing though.. :)

Reinstalling IE would also work, but you would have to setup your favorites list again and such..

Keep at it :) Luckily this isn't too large of a problem?

Emjayy

Emjayy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok silly me, I never actually never restarted IE, I just refreshed the page to see if it was still stalling :)
Thanks for the help! It works good now :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
No problem :) , I should mention though:

The add-ons you disabled may cause you trouble in the future- meaning if you have Activex installed as one of the now disabled add-ons, a web page may need it. It will say you need to turn it on, so just enable it. If your problem ever starts up again though, you should know the add-on you just enabled. Then you can uninstall it.

Until then though, your browser should be faster without the add-ons. Glad I could help.