Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

People still have 98!

• Please log in to reply

infected????

infected????

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Why do people still have these old windows?
nostalgia?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Usually because the computers are too old to run any other operating system, people cannot afford to upgrade/replace, or a lot of companies use specific functionality critical to their business that only ever worked under Windows 98. Nostalgia very rarely comes into it.

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Sometimes people like to install older things into there computer, eg, my bother has installed windows 3.11(with dos 6.22) and 98 on his computer and sometimes he has problem with them that need fixing, so he ether fixes them himself or comes here. (he usually does great by himself)

Also some people are too poor to afford (or too cheap like me :)) newer computers so they have to go buy older ones for like 5$ off goodwill.

also my friend still uses his 95 computer because it has dos on it.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I still have 98 because it has 1 0r 2 programs that Xp & Vista CANNOT run - never mind compatability mode Does not work.
Also it runs better with less hassles.
Can do what xp and vista can but vista and xp can't do what 98 can

Cheers
Peterm

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
there is also the point of the saying "why fix it if it ain't broke",

if you are happy with your pc and it does all you need then whats the point of spending money on a more powerful, up to date o/s that you don't really need,

i still use windows 2000, i find it better, faster and easier than the xp's, vista and win7 - and my linux is even faster on the same system,

i had to add 1gb of ram to be comfortable with the later o/s's - hasn't made any difference at all to w2k or linux (linux is optimized to around 800mb - utilizing any more would slow it down)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
There is a plastics factory here in Frankfort, KY that uses 98 because the software for their robotics is written for 98 and there is no other software for the robotic hardware. It would cost them millions to replace everything and only thousands to keep it going.

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I forgot to include that i still use our old 500mb windows 95 labtop, its still got 14mb's on it! I'm going to unstall everything on it soon and start fresh.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
I have a client that uses only DOS! Forget 98 or anything else. 98 is ok as long as you're not using it for internet, (just no support anymore..sorry). Stand alone systems that just run their programs are fine. Win ME was always crap, (even worse than Vista). Win2000, XP are still OK, but I also miss the simplicity of Win 3.11!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I work for a company that designs, manufactures, and services equipment for Industry. Back many years ago the windows 3.1/ dos 6.22 was the top of the line. We still have customers that use it. We, as a company , looked into software and hardware upgrades on the existing product and computer. It was fruitless from a economical standpoint.
Our engineers designed a new frontend (computer and controller) to work with the rest of that specific equipment. Some customers have upgraded and some have not. They can go with a upgrade or a new and different solution. We have it all. Those that have not upgraded will be forced to do something. Not by us, but because of the IMB (Intelligent Mail Barcode) being driven by the USPS.

RLDavies

RLDavies

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a Windows 98se laptop primarily because I enjoy playing a lot of classic games that won't run on anything higher.

I also use it for most of my word processing, graphic, and DTP projects, as it's perfectly fine for 99 per cent of what I want to do in that area. Working on the laptop means I can relax on the sofa and be social, instead of sequestering myself away with the big desktop beast.

The laptop itself originally came with XP installed, but was at the lower end of functionality for XP. Changing it to 98 made it deliriously happy -- the 98se system thinks it has a huge amount of memory and disk space!