Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows did not start successfully...following file is missing or corr

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Read the Backup Files Without Windows article... look at the bottom of the page for instructions on how to manually mount a drive. Follow those instructions and then navigate to the folder /mnt and tell me if you can see your files.

Advertisements

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok...im gunna try the instructions you gave earlier for manual mounting...ill let you know how it goes

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok i did the command and then went to places,home folder,file system and there was the mnt folder...was that all that had to be done?...I have to leave for work at 7ish and will be there until about 230am...so if u post anything after 7 I wont get it until tomorrow morning...Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing back from you

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
in mnt folder we have...bundle, documents and settings, drivers, my music, program files, recycler, sysprep, system volume information,and windows folders... then looks like sheets of paper for autoexec.bat, boot.ini(this paper has writing on it), bootex.log (also has writing on it), config.sys, io.sys, iph.ph(has writing on it), msdod.sys, ntdetect.com,and ntldr.....anything in particular we need to make sure is here?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Everything looks good. Since your drive can mount successfully in Ubuntu I am not sure why chkdsk is telling that you have some unrecoverable problems.

Try opening some documents, and see if they are corrupted or not.

Run a chkdsk /r again.

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I dont have any documents, music, pics, or videos...I think they were all deleted after being moved to the external drive...when i was in the gparted their was an exclamation mark inside a triangle next to my partition, and under flags it said boot...do you want me to put the windows recovery cd back in to run a chkdsk or can i do it from ubuntu?...also in my mnt folder in the windows folder there is a restore, can we use that?

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
also under file system, the root folder has a circle with a square in it and a x going through the square, it says i dont have the permission to open it...also with initrd.img and vmlinuz when i try to open either of them they both say- this link cannot be used because its target "boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic" doesnt exist...dont know if that means anything

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go into GParted, and click on the Windows partition. Then go to Partition -> Check
Let GParted check the partition for filesystem errors.

Try chkdsk /r too. You need to run it from a XP CD or from the RC.iso disc you burnt.

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
chkdsk was fine this time it said it repaired one or more...so could i just borrow or burn a windows xp media center edition 2005 disk and install it again since i have the key code and stuff on the sticker...do i need to save that mnt folder onto a sd card?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no...you can use it for a repair if necessary but you can't install it

Advertisements

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
so what should i do now?...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you get into Windows now? Try safe mode too.
Did chkdsk /r complete successfully? Run it one more time.

If you still can't boot into Windows, you will have to contact EMachines for a recovery disc. They may charge you shipping only, or they might add extra charges.

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I could not get into windows again...I borrowed a cd from a friend and installed it...everything worked just fine except it seems im missing some of my drivers and devices like audio device, sm bus controller, and video controller...a friend suggested to go to emachines web site and download them from there but it doesnt seem to want to work...Im probably doing it wrong...any suggestions???....Thank You

Edited by xxdoniellexx, 27 July 2009 - 03:07 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Sorry for taking a while to respond...
Go to Device Manager, and expand each category... tell me what devices are marked with a yellow exclamation mark.

What is the make/model of your computer?

xxdoniellexx

xxdoniellexx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i fixed all but the sm bus controller...its a emachines w6409....im pretty sure it was or is a ati rs400/rc400/rc410 chipset or something like that...everything seems to be working just fine for now so i think i might just leave it alone unless i encounter a problem...