Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-install

• Please log in to reply

Foxxed

Foxxed

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Okay guys REALLY Stupid Question But is it possible to Load everything you need for One PC on the HDD in another PC (as a Slave drive) and it function correctly on the one its going in?

I have my Copy of XP and a Dell that eated the OS.

So on my PC thats up and running can i take the HDD out of the other one, load my copy of XP and all the drivers for the Mo-bo & such or will it not work like that?

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

I'm having difficulty trying to understand what you want to do?

Do you just want to take the hard drive from one PC and put it in the other to backup your data? Or something else.
Its when you said:

So on my PC that's up and running can i take the HDD out of the other one, load my copy of XP and all the drivers for the Mo-bo & such or will it not work like that?

That you really confused me. It sounds like you want to take the hard drive from the other PC put it in this one and then perform a fresh install of Windows.

Sorry if I'm not getting the bigger picture,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually if I understand it correctly you want to copy a HD from one system onto the HD of another system and have both systems with the same OS working correctly.
This is illegal pursuant to the Microsoft Licensing Agreement.
Also unless the two systems are exactly the same the drivers will not work on the second system and everything would have to be manually downloaded to fix the problems.
Am I correct on this Foxxed?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what rshaffer said..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you dsenette :) :) :rolleyes:

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
I obviously wasn't getting the bigger picture then :) Ah well better luck next time :)

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Actually if I understand it correctly you want to copy a HD from one system onto the HD of another system and have both systems with the same OS working correctly.
This is illegal pursuant to the Microsoft Licensing Agreement.
Also unless the two systems are exactly the same the drivers will not work on the second system and everything would have to be manually downloaded to fix the problems.
Am I correct on this Foxxed?

you got it...

Dang Them MS Agreement.... :)
oh well The one that ate the OS is getting Mandriva

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have only played with Linux distro's for a bit so I'm not real familiar with them.
The one you mention I have heard of before and have been told it is a good one.
The other option you may have is to contact Dell and see about egtting a Recovery Disk for your system.
They can usually supply this for a minimum amount of money. Normally about 30 to 45 dollars.
Just another option for you as that would give you all the original drivers and factory installed software.