Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive enclosure "access denied" files from crashed comp

• Please log in to reply

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
followed the "take ownership" microsoft instructions. Did not work - still access denied. It does not make sense to me that microsoft could allow one computer to take ownership of hard drive that was password protected - it is too easy. That means i can remove anyones hard drive and put it through a enclosure and access their files - there is something missing here - I still cannot access.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one more time...is it xp pro or xp home

also follow the instructions for taking ownership of the files...but do it on the E drive itself (like right click on the E drive icon in my computer and do properties etc...) instead of just a single folder

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
got it - can read them - thanks alot.

NOW MY MAIN PROBLEM - my bankruptcy brief was on my desktop of the crashed computer. Is it gone?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...it should be under e:\documents and settings\<username>\desktop (where <username> is the name of the user you used to log on as)

mpurchases

mpurchases

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I LOVE YOU - it worked - found my brief.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

It does not make sense to me that microsoft could allow one computer to take ownership of hard drive that was password protected - it is too easy. That means i can remove anyones hard drive and put it through a enclosure and access their files - there is something missing here - I still cannot access.

system security put in place via a passworded user account and file security are two different things...the security of a computer with a passworded user account is effective in keeping unwanted access to the computer to a minimum as long as the system is running... actual file security (i.e. file encryption) is a whole different story...if you had encrypted those files...you wouldn't be looking at them right now...they'd be gone (effectively....there are ways to get them back but that's another ball of wax)