Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD when attempting to boot into Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey all,
I have a machine here from someone stating that they did a hard shutdown during the "Loading Your Personal Settings" stage while logging in. Now, while trying to boot into Windows, the following message is displayed:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

However, while booting with an XP CD and trying to get into both the Recovery Console and repairing Windows section of setup, it blue screens with the following message:

BAD_POOL_CALLER
Technical information:
***STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xC1F6D00, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

After looking this up, I've seen other people having this issue and it was related to their modem. However, this machine has no modem.
I've used an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and ran MemTest on it, and the memory seems alright.

Thanks for any assistance!

Edited by NuttySquirrel, 22 July 2009 - 07:39 AM.

Advertisements

NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I apologize if replying to yourself is against the rules, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any new hardware or software installed just prior to this starting?
Anything downloaded form the internet and instaleld prior to issue starting?
This error points to something just recently added either hardware or software being installed and not registering correctly.

NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I know that no hardware was installed prior to this happening, software I'm not sure...the user says he didn't install anything, and he is on a restricted account.

I actually just found an article on the computer manufacturer's website that states that there is a known issue that after installing Windows XP SP3, the computer goes into a continuous reboot loop. This actually did happen with this machine back in February of this year, and I ended up reformatting the machine. It has been fine from then until now, and I even installed SP3 on it after reformatting it without problems. This is completely different from whats happening now, but I'm wondering if any Windows updates were installed right before this new issue started occuring and if that's whats causing it.

Edited by NuttySquirrel, 23 July 2009 - 11:23 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My suggestion is to backup data
Format and reinstall.
Get all updates straight from Microsoft or MOBO manufacturer website for the MOBO.
Question though, why is the owner of the system on a restricted account?
Owner usually has a Admin account so they can work on system.

NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
This machine is a part of our domain, and the person is a domain user so they were on a limited user account.

I've found the drivers for this machine and will more than likely be reformatting it.

Thank you for the assistance.

Edited by NuttySquirrel, 23 July 2009 - 12:25 PM.