Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard replacement advice

• Please log in to reply

Yasmine89

Yasmine89

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A while ago my 350W PSU failed so I replaced it with an Antec truepower trio 550W.

I connected it to my Asus M3A motherboard and when I turned it on, sparks came out of that motherboard.

The motherboard is wasted, and I was told that something with CPU voltages went wrong, I don't really understand, but anyhow, I need to get a new motherboard.

I want it to either be compatible with the 550W PSU and my Athlon 64 X2 dual core 6400+ (because somehow, that's where it went wrong).

OR

If you say it's silly to buy a new motherboard and not a new CPU, which ones should I buy, that are compatible with eachother, my PSU, my memory (I really don't have a clue what type or RAM it is, I could check if you want).

I really need some help with this, I want to avoid another "fireworks party", and need my PC up and running again soon. :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If sparks came out of the board with that PSU, I'd say the PSU (the Antec one) has an issue and on connecting it it has blown the be-jesus out of the board. Therefore I would not plug anything else into it. Realistically if you're going to buy a new board and use the Antec PSU again while it has a fault, you may as well just pour money down the drain now. Do you know that 550w PSU was working?

Yasmine89

Yasmine89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tested the PSU and it works, so I think it's safe to connect a new mobo now.

Which one would you recommend, to replace the M3A? I'm going to keep the AMD Athlon 64 X2 and everything.