Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP - Shuts down during booting

• Please log in to reply

maynard58

maynard58

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've read and read... maybe someone here can lead me in the right direction.

Desktop computer, about 6 years old but used sparingly. XP home addition with service pack 3.

After clicking start, computer commences to boot normally until... we get the windows XP logo with the little bar.. the blue pieces moving left to right. Sits there for a bit then black. You hear the XP shutdown sound, light comes on the monitor that signifies no signal. I think the computer is still running... just black screen and no response to anything. When the start/stop button is pushed it shuts off. I've repeated this several times.

Started in safe mode... that seems to work. Tried going back to "known configuration - that didn't help. Did the system restore to 3 days ago, that didn't help.
Ran an check for viruses with Norman.. clean. Checked the "General" tabe in the System Configuration Utility, it ppears to be the same as this laptop (selective startup - check marks in all, altho "load start up items" seems to be grayed .

No hardware has been installed recently, no upgrades.

I have the installation disc that came with the computer from Dell. Was considering installing that and doing a "repair".. maybe run a fixmbr.. a little uneasy about this, will I lose everything?

Help...

this computer is my neighbors who only does e-mail and a little stock trading.. 84 YO and I'm trying to help but I'm at a loss.

Appreciate it

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi maynard58 ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
try restoring to a earlier date...try several from weeks ago ...

Edited by happyrock, 22 July 2009 - 05:54 PM.

maynard58

maynard58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK I will

Someone else suggested a video card problem

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it could be one of several things but try restore before anything else...
did you update any hardware or software recently...how about getting any windows updates...

Edited by happyrock, 22 July 2009 - 06:36 PM.

maynard58

maynard58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no to those 3 questions...

I'll try what you suggest