Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fail to Connect To Internet

• Please log in to reply

Berz(Matt)

Berz(Matt)

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello. Im new to these forums, but i have been completly stuck with this problem that i have been having.
generally ive been able to get my dad (works as a programmer) to help, but networking is not his forte shall we say.

ive seen that quite a few people have a similar problem to me, and i have searched about the web trying everything suggested that appeared relevant. (undoing it afterwards if it didnt help)

the problem i am having is i am unable to connect to the internet anymore.
For a large part of the time, it sayed connected to the internet, but couldnt look up an improtant DNS server. and i wasnt able to connect to any website, or even log in to msn. However i was able to still log in to irc, and log online to a game network (though not connect to any of the games thereafter).
recently now, it doesnt even say connected to the internet.

my computer runs through a router, as does about 5 other computers in the house. some through wireless some through a wire connection.

What is wierd is that i was able to connect for a quite a few days, and then all of a sudden i couldnt connect any more. It is an entirely new computer that i got barely a couple weeks ago, so i doubt any malware has entered. Even so i have done 2 scans, one with AdAware and one with AVGfree and nothing popped up

im not the most tech savy person myself, so im not sure what information i should be putting. but i will put whatever seems important

My computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium, i assume this is the main problem, as all other people that i have seen post with similar problems are on Vista. However my laptop which im on now runs Vista Basic, and connects perfectly through the wireless no problem. so as far as im aware there is no problem with compatability of the router and Vista.

My computer is able to succesfully ping the router through CMD
My computer is unable to ping any websites / external ip's. 100% of the packets get lost.

i have attempted changing the Dhcp of my network card in the regedit, incase there was a problem between my network card and the router. But this did nothing so i set it back to how it was originally.

I had similar problem as this on my wireless, and it would sometimes only last 1h. Or i would turn the computer off at night and it would workperfectly fine the next day no problem.

I will be camping the board waiting to hear back from any suggestions, as i am exteremly erked this isn't working, especially since i saved up a lot of money getting this computer and i cant even use it on the internet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rather lengthy post :)

edit: had another look and found that the computer fails to connect through a wired connection. it is plugged in to the internet router, but it then goes through that, to the wireless router, and then try's to connect to the internet through that. if I turn off the wireless router, it says it fails to find any network connections, even though im physically connected. Will be taking apart the computer and looking to see whether there is an internal faulty connection, though i doubt it as it was connection fine before hand (through the wired --> wireless connection) but then stopped.

Edited by Berz(Matt), 23 July 2009 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

Berz(Matt)

Berz(Matt)

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
update : ive been on my old computer since my vista refuses to ping sites. it has run fine for 6 or 7 years, no problem on XP. however just last night the exact same symptoms have now manifested on the computer. i have no idea what is blocking it.
if i clear my net cache, i am able to ping websites fine from my cmdprompt, as soon as i try to access em from a web browser i can no longer ping them.

help appreciated asap

edit: turned off items from AVG free. apparently there are some errors which occur with the AVG interface 8.1 and many web browsers. causing the internet to malfunction. will turn off the same items on my vista and see if it works as well

Edited by Berz(Matt), 27 July 2009 - 12:54 PM.

Berz(Matt)

Berz(Matt)

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Problem is cleared. AVG have announced themselves that in their recent version there have been problems with connecting to the web. disabling some of AVG Free secondary features have resolved the problem on both xp and vista. i hope this helps any one else that happens to have the same symptom