Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP boot time 2 minutes 25seconds

• Please log in to reply

ridethewave

ridethewave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I did what you ask, and the system booted in 35 sec. Some of the boxes were already checked when I went back into Services. The box that I checked that caused my computer to boot in 2 min 30 sec is "ImageConverterVideo recording monitor for VAIO Entertainment". There were still more boxes to check but I stopped there.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Cool so now we know the culprit.

Do you use that service or program?
If not then leave it unchecked and continue on to the next one.
keep going till you have everything checked back on and if the boot time stays down then we have a winner.

ridethewave

ridethewave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I'm not sure if I use that program or not. I also found two more programs that caused delay in the boot time.

• Intel®PROSet/Wireless Service
  • Intel®PROSet/Wireless Registry Service

I'm going to start surfing the web to see if any problems occur. I'll let you know in a second post.

ridethewave

ridethewave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Everything seems to be working pretty good. Boot time is 38 sec, which is faster than I've seen in a long time. And that's about 5 times faster than after I installed the HP printer.

Do I need know anything about the programs I left unchecked?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They both have to do with wireless internet connection.
Do you use wireless or are you hardwired in as in a ethernet line?

ridethewave

ridethewave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I do use a wireless connection to access the internet. But, even with those boxes unchecked I'm still able to access the internet without any problems. After the defrag with Auslogics, boot time is 32 sec. There doesn't seem to be any problems.
If there are any problems (hopefully not) and I have to check the box that would cause my computer to boot slower, what do I need to know?

Edited by ridethewave, 26 July 2009 - 03:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest you try it for a couple of days.
We will leave this topic open for you to respond at that time and let us know how everything is working.
At that point if everything is still working fine then I will consider this issue resolved.
One quick question first.
Have you rebooted since unchecking these two items except for the initial time?
If not please do so and let em know how it works then.
If it still is working correctly then do as I suggested above and check back with us in a couple of days.
I'm curious as to if this actually does fix everything for you.

ridethewave

ridethewave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I've rebooted at least 5 times. I've log onto the internet with no problem (so far).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :happy: :lol: :) :happy:
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you.
We will continue to monitor this topic for a few days just in case but at this point
I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

ridethewave

ridethewave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Hi rshaffer61, I'm just checking in to let you know that things are working great. I would like to take this moment to thank you for helping me with my long boot time. I first tried to resolve the problem with HP printer department. With no resolution. I was then tolled to call program engineering department. And of course, no resolution there either. They suggested I eliminate my desktop icons to solve my problem, and these guys are technicians.

Thank you for hanging in there with me, thanks for being persistent, thanks for being determined, and most of all thanks for being knowledgeable and doing what HP couldn't do. Your help was very much appreciated. Maybe now I can glue the hair back on my head that I pulled out talking to HP.

THANK YOU
Chris

Advertisements