Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer

• Please log in to reply

radan

radan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Done defag picked up 4.1% . Another question now that I have some of the other tools do I need to keep Hijack this ,ATF and Ccleaner ?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
????
Why the second Autoruns log?

radan

radan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thought you asked fot it ,guess not !! So actually how is looking? My computer seems to be going slightly faster !!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
DID you run all the steps in my post # 14?

radan

radan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Click on Start button to bDownload Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.egin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer

I think this is where I got the extra autoruns , i had to go back and run it again then into txt files (i think)but I don't know anything about .elgin cleaning process ???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I apologize for the confusion. My notes were messed up. After you have completed the first step where I listed the entries to mark in autoruns
This is what should have been after that.

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

If this has all been done then how is the system running now?

By doubling the amount of memory you have installed you will see a increase in your speed also.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 July 2009 - 01:28 PM.

radan

radan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well I guess you have taken me about as far as you can ? How about my other question do I still need HiJack This, AFC & Ccleaner ? Can't thank you enough for all your help !!!! Randy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ccleaner we do not suggest using any type of Registry cleaner as they have the potential to render your system unusable. They really do not help performance at all.

Hijack this is only good for malware removal so you can uninstall that one also.
ACF is that ATF you are meaning?
If so this is a great little program for cleaning up temp files without messing with the registry at all.

radan

radan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for your help on this rainey afternoon , you guys are GREAT !!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome as that is what we are here for.
How is the system running now?
Did you check on the memory i suggested for you?

Advertisements

radan

radan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
System running just a little faster the memory upgrade might be just what I need , Thanks again , could use the link to help you out in a small way for your troubles !!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :rolleyes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.

I do not have a Pay Pal account and your thank you would be to support GTG as I stated above. Thank you again. :happy:

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 July 2009 - 05:36 PM.

radan

radan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi rsaffer61, It's me again , I bought the extra memory but when I opened my tower up to install it already had two modules that were installed with no other spot for anymore !! So I need your guidance again !!! THanks Randy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How much memory did you purchase?
If you purchased 1 gig of memory then I suspect what you got was 2 512 megs memory modules.
If that is the case then simply shut the system down,
open the case up
Take out the existing 512 megs of memory(which should be 2 256 megs modules)
Then replace them with the 2 512 meg modules you bought.
Make sure they are seated correctly as they are KEYED to fit only one way.
Once that is complete then start the system up and at the first post screen you should see it count up memory.
It should be something like 1024 megs total.
If so then the system see's it correctly.
If not once it boots into windows:

Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory

I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

radan

radan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well looking at what I bought there is only one module and it says Compaq Presario 5000 Series model 5310us system 256mb 168 pin dimm 32mx64 sdrm pc 133 cas-2 lpPb-free . So if I'm looking correctly I bought the wrong one ??