Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Woes

• Please log in to reply

SadisticYoda

SadisticYoda

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey everyone, I apologize if you get these kinds of questions alot, but I don't know what I do. I'm working on my second build, the first of which has served me well for four years. Now it's upgrade time, and I get everything put together, and when I boot, I don't even go to the bios screen, as nothing appears on the monitor. I went through the sticky and tried everything there... but nothing seemed to work. Here are my specs:

Mobo: Asus P5N-D
CPU: Intel Q6600
GPU: Nvidia EVGA 260 GTX
RAM: Corsair XM2 2x2GB (4gb)
Power Supply: OCZ Stealth Stream 700w

At this point, I'm thinking I have a faulty motherboard, although I have no alternate 240-pin RAM to test with.. yet I don't get any chimes with my case speaker. Does anything look off in my specs, or perhaps there is something I may have overlooked?

I'll post any additional information if needed!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Probably the best idea is to take eveything out of the case, and assemble everything "on the bench". Very often it's a case short that causes this problem. :)

P.S. Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

SadisticYoda

SadisticYoda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's a interesting idea, and worth trying!

What kind of surface would you recommend to run it, would a wooden table suffice?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sure, anything but a metal table (non-conductive).

SadisticYoda

SadisticYoda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I went ahead and tried this on my table.. still no joy. I've tested every component on my current comp but the ram and the processor, neither of which I am able to test. Unless there's anything else you folks think I may be able to try, I'm gonna send back the motherboard and try for a replacement.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Okay, the next step is to start with just your motherboard, power supply and CPU. After you start it, your motherboard should give a series of beeps. If it doesn't then the motherboard is probably bad (assuming the power suppy is good). If it does beep, then continue adding components and restarting. There is a beep code table for your motherboard, but since your problem is lack of beeps that should indicate the problem component.

SadisticYoda

SadisticYoda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, now we're getting somewhere. With just the psu connected, I get 1 long and three short beeps followed by one more later. This is supposed to indicate that there is no video card, well, that's all fine and well... until I plug in my video card and I get the same message. I've tried both pci express slots and I get this, I even use both of my tested pci express cards which I know work. Maybe are those slots damaged?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'd be tempted to throw in some other RAM to see if that's a problem. In the meantime you could remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to reset the BIOS.

Just yesterday I had a similar problem in a new build and resetting the BIOS in this way did the trick. I've never had to fix it in this way before, but there's always a first time for everything! Only takes a couple of minutes so it can't hurt to try. Just make sure the power is disconnected.

Cheers :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 July 2009 - 07:05 AM.

SadisticYoda

SadisticYoda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'd be tempted to throw in some other RAM to see if that's a problem. In the meantime you could remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to reset the BIOS.
Cheers :)

I don't know what was.. but it did it! I got the computer up and running and everything was registered and working.

Thanks everyone!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :rolleyes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 July 2009 - 07:02 PM.