Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS not recognizing new CD-Rom drive

• Please log in to reply

Skrillex

Skrillex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The problem is this:
I have two laptops, an Inspiron B120 and an Inspiron 2200.
The B120 fell off the couch and hit the floor, now it won't charge anymore.
Conveniently around the same time, the CD-Rom drive in the 2200 (the laptop I'm on currently) started randomly ejecting CDs and stopped reading them.

So I figured I'd just hotswap them, which at first turned out fine.
They fit perfectly in each other's bays, but when I booted it up I got this error "The Device in the system modular bay cannot be identified. It may not be completely inserted or may have some other problem. Please read and complete the following steps.

1. Press the device completely and firmly into the bay.
2. Press the ESC-key -- wait for the system to power down.
3. Press the power button to retry detecting the device"

After a few days of Googling, I was instructed to do a few things including, Flashing the BIOS, deleting a certain registry key about lower and upper filters, updating and installing the appropriate drivers....I did all of those to no avail.

In BIOS, it doesn't even recognize the CD-Rom drive, but after I turn on the computer the lights on the drive blink....it ejects fine and everything... I just have no idea how to make my computer recognize it!

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Are you 100% certain that the CD modules for these 2 different DELL models are compatible?

Regards